Intern - Health and Nutrition - North Horr
Jobs at:Catholic Relief Services
Deadline of this Job:
13 July 2022
Date Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Intern - Health and Nutrition - North Horr
Department: USAID Nawiri Project
Reports To: Administratively - Nawiri County Head of Office/Sub County or Ward Coordinators - CRS
Technically – County or Sub-County Department of Health
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) supporting relief and development work in over 100 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, re gardless of creed, ethnicity, or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) opened operations in Kenya in 1965. For over 50 years, we have worked throughout the country to implement programs in agriculture, health, microfinance, water, sanitation, emergency relief and peacebuilding. We have built deep relationships with the Government of Kenya and the Catholic Church through ongoing collaboration and support. CRS’ projects in Kenya currently include agriculture, health, microfinance, emergency response, HIV care and treatment, and services for orphans and vulnerable children. CRS Kenya implements its programs through partnerships with local organizations, including the Catholic Church, other faith-based organizations and community entities for maximum impact and sustainability.
CRS, representing a consortium of international non-gov ernmental organizations, local implementing partners and research institutions is leading the USAID Nawiri Program, a USAID Office of Bureau of Humanitarian Assistance (BHA) 5-year funded Development Food Security Activity (DFSA) in Kenya. The overarching goal of this multi-sectoral activity is to sustainably reduce persistent levels of acute malnutrition in Kenya’s arid and semi-arid lands (ASALs) counties of Isiolo and Marsabit. The activity will be implemented in two phases:
Phase I (1.5 - 2 years) Research, test approaches and collaboratively design a context-sensitive, multi-sectoral activity that sustainably reduces acute malnutrition.
Phase II (3- 3.5 years): Multi-sectoral Activity implementation and adaptation and Local System and Institutional Strengthening
While being provided with a learning opportunity, the Health and Nutrition intern will be part of the Nawiri health and nutrition team. The main role is to support the County Department of Health in the provision health and nutrition services. The intern will support the implementation of Nawiri program activities with close supervision and guidance from the County Department of Health Officers and the Nawiri program staff to foster learning and development by the end of the internship period.
• In close consultation with the County Department of Health, the Nawiri SC/Ward Coordinator and the Nawiri consortium partners, the health and nutrition intern will learn while providing support to the implementation of planned health and nutrition activities. These will include:
• Participating in Nawiri weekly activity planning
• Under the guidance of the health worker, he/she will support in nutrition screening, registration, commodity distribution and updating tally sheets and registers during IMAM activities both at the facility and at community level.
• In collaboration with Caritas and the health workers, facilitate smooth delivery of integrated health and nutrition outreaches
• Participate and provide support during community level activities including household visits, Family MUAC monitoring, community dialogues among other activities as guided by the health and nutrition officers.
• Compile activity reports and field visit reports at end the of each activity using standard tools including putting together weekly progress reports
• Participate in team meetings as part of learning
• Any other activities assigned by the line manager
• NAWIRI Health and Nutrition Manager – Concern/Caritas
• Health and Nutrition officers – Concern/Caritas
• Health facility in charge - MOH
• BSc in Nutrition or related health field – Nursing, Community/Public Health from Kenyan universities/reputable colleges.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to write good reports
• Proficiency in the use of computer applications
• Willingness to learn new things in a rapidly changing context
• Ability to speak at least one local language in Isiolo and Marsabit in addition to English and Kiswahili
• Should be a resident in Isiolo or Marsabit
• Willingness to stay long days in remote field locations
• Demonstrated good character, creativity, honesty and integrity, positive attitude and ability to learn.
Clear internship objectives will be developed at the beginning of the internship period, assessed, and monitored on a regular basis, and final appraisal conducted at the end of the internship period to ensure that the intern achieves their learning and development objectives.
The internship program participants will not be entitled to a salary as this is not considered employment. However, they will be provided with a monthly stipend and a medical and Group Personal Accident cover as per HR Compensation provisions.
CRS is under no obligation whatsoever to hire a graduate intern during or after their completion of the internship program.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.