Assistant Director Grants Management
Jobs at:Universities Fund
Deadline of this Job:
29 April 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Qualifications, Skills and Experience Required:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Economics, Statistics, Accounting, Commerce, Project Management or any related discipline;
• Master’s Degree in Finance, Economics, Statistics, Accounting, Commerce, Project Management or any related discipline;
• Professional Qualifications / Membership to professional bodies
• Management course lasting not less four (4) weeks
• Professional qualification and membership with relevant body where applicable
Previous relevant work experience required.
• At least ten (10) years’ work experience in related duties three (3) of which must have been at a management position.
• Communication skills
• Credit management skills
• Customer Relationship Management
• Strategic Stakeholders Engagement
• Performance Management
• IT proficiency
• Presentation skills
• Analytical skills
• Negotiation skills
Behavioral Competencies/ Attributes:
• Leadership skills
• Interpersonal &
• Problem solving and decision-making skills
• Emotional Intelligence
• Fulfil the requirements of Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010
The job holder is responsible for coordinating development and implementation of policies that ensure fair, transparent and equitable sharing of resources to universities in accordance with the established criteria. The jobholder is also responsible for coordinating for implementation of the short and long term action plans and the day to day operations of the department. He/She is also responsible for coordinating timely and equitable annual processing and disbursement of funds to public universities and conditional grants of over Kshs. 47Billion. Coordinating technical and strategic reporting through strategic stakeholder engagement, business intelligence, quality assurance for informed decision making, while ensuring business growth in alignment to the institution’s strategic objectives.
Managerial / Supervisory Responsibilities
• Coordinating development and implementation of Grant Management related policies, regulations, guidelines and strategies.
• Motivating the departmental human resource to enhance productivity and achievement of the departmental targets;
• Coordinating formulation, implementation and monitoring of departmental action plan, policies, and systems by ensuring it is aligned to the institution’s overall Strategic Plan;
• Coordinating evaluation and review of the department’s annual performance to ensure alignment to the institution’s strategic plan;
• Coordinating timely and equitable processing and disbursement of funds to public Universities and conditional grants and loans to private universities to over 330,814 students annually;
• Engage in preparation and implementation of the department’s budget to ensure implementation of the budget provisions;
• Reviewing indents for making Calls for grant proposals;
• Coordinating the screening and reviewing of grant proposals for eligibility;
• Coordinating development and maintenance of an interactive database of grants;
• Coordinating the Monitoring and Evaluation of grants disbursed;
• Ensuring compliance with requirements of grant award contract;
• Advise management on policies, regulations and guidelines on grants management;
• Assist in Developing Agenda on Grants management;
• Coordinating Implementation of the Trustees decisions on Research Grant Management;
• Supervising the field research evaluation activities;
• Assisting in identifying stakeholders for consultations and engagement.
Operational Responsibilities / Tasks
• Coordinating the review and implementation of quality operations standards, risk management and compliance in every delivery channel through adherence to set policies and procedures and holistic corporate governance;
• Coordinating the flawless process of making calls, screening and review of grant proposals;
• Coordinating the development and maintenance of an interactive database on grants;
• Coordinating the establishment of the minimum discipline differentiated remuneration for academic staff of universities, which shall be fair and globally competitive, and advise the government accordingly;
• Coordinating the implementation of departmental annual action plan to ensure alignment to the institution’s strategic plan;
• Coordination of identification and resolution of all internal and external audit issues for compliance to set procedures and guidelines;
• Coordinating implementation of departmental data integrity, quality and reliability for informed and timely decision making;
• Coordinating timely and accurate responses to external correspondences to enhance service delivery;
• Coordinating the development of a transparent and fair criteria for allocation of funds to universities;
• Coordinating the preparation of the management paper on recommendations for grants, bursaries, scholarships;
• Coordinating research in consultation with the public universities to establish the relevance of the factors that inform the differentiated unit cost for the programmes offered;
• Coordinating research in consultation with the public universities to establish the relevance of the discipline differentiated remuneration for academic staff of universities;
• Periodically reviewing and re-evaluating the adequacy and effectiveness of departmental policies and procedures;
• Ensuring formulation of inter-departmental SLAs to enhance service delivery.
• Identification of skills gap among the grants management staff and recommend for capacity building; and
• Participating in departmental and Management meetings to drive the department’s agenda.
• Implementing the approved annual public universities disbursement and conditional grants to private universities of over Kshs.47 Billion;
• Implementing and monitoring the approved departmental budget, procurement plan and work plan;
Responsibility for Physical Assets
• Responsible for physical assets assigned by the institution to the Department more than Kshs.10Million;
• Provide oversight for all the departmental physical assets;
The job holder will be required to solve the following type of problems
• Complex and open ended problems in all the universities and relevant government and donor agencies.
• Problems are broad and complex, involving more than one area of the Government. Solutions will often be arrived at through the stewardship of a project team, involve significant financial risk and require Director/CEO’s approval.
• Problems are strategic, affecting universities, relevant government and donor agencies. Consultations will be required. Solutions will involve significant financial risk of over/under financing.
The job holder will need to understand the following communication to discharge his/her mandate:
• Detailed verbal and written instructions or requests from universities, students, the Ministry of Education on matters of university education financing;
• Detailed donor reports;
• Writing Universities Fund internal policy documents as well as university funding policies;
• Financial reports, in-depth technical reports, proposals or project briefs affecting the universities, the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Planning and National Treasury;
• Complex commissioned reports, proposals or project briefs affecting the universities, the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Planning and National Treasury;
• High level proposals on Government strategic direction on financing of Universities;
• High level written proposals or presentations to the CEO;
• Written proposals or presentations aimed at changing practices within or across unit/directorate/institution/arm of Government;
• Negotiations with donors.
Decision Making / Job Influence
• Makes strategic decisions that influence the direction of Universities Funding with long-term effects;
• Makes operational decisions that direct day to day operations of the division;
• Establishes and manages linkages, collaborations and interactions with various arms of government such as parliament, ministries, county and constituency heads, development partners and other stakeholders on matters higher education financing;
• Allocation of work to staff of the department; and
• The individual holder will regularly negotiate and persuasive with internal and external donors
• Predominantly in an office environment with regular field work at the Universities.
• Interruptions by stakeholders such as Universities’ Student Unions, Universities Staff Unions Such as UASU, KUSU and KUDHEA
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.