Assistant Research Officer (GIS
Jobs at:Safaricom Kenya
Deadline of this Job:
Monday, April 24 2023
Date Posted:Monday, April 24 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The KEMRI Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is based within the KEMRI Centre for Geographic Medical Research - (Coast). Our core activities are funded by the Wellcome Trust. We conduct integrated epidemiological, social, laboratory and clinical research in parallel, with results feeding into local and international health policy. Our research platfor...
Read more about this company
• Support the assembly of geo-coded malaria parasite and mosquito survey data across SSA and MENA regions
• Organize PDF libraries of source materials
• Conduct local and online data searches to locate and obtain new cluster-level databases from household surveys e.g. MEASURE DHS, UNICEF, and IPUMS, GoK website covering low- and middle income countries.
• Download, assemble and analyse environmental remote sensed data
• Support the assembly of long-term data from DHIS2 Software Platform
• Reconstruct and harmonise various Geographic Information System to common formats and spatial references matching various national and subnational boundaries.
• Provide support for geo-spatial mapping of various health metrics, indicators and health data using suitable Geographic Information Software – ArcGIS or QGIS
• Contribute to the scientific outputs at the programme through participation and presentation at local conferences, scientific meetings, seminars and journal clubs.
• Conduct basic analyses linking data and produce maps and geographic statistics to incorporate into scientific documents and reports.
• Design and update databases, applying additional knowledge of spatial feature representations.
• Enter new map data by direct input of coordinate information using the principles of cartography including coordinate systems, longitude, latitude, elevation, topography, and map scales.
• Analyze geographic relationships among varying types of data.
• Prepare metadata and other documentation.
• Operate and maintain GIS hardware, software.
• Retrieve stored maps.
• Provide routine GIS support for mapping and geo-coding databases
• Provide routine support for power-point presentations
• Attend and present at weekly journal clubs and seminars
• A BSc in Geomatics, Geospatial Engineering, GIS, Geography, Surveying or other Earth Sciences
• At least one-year experience in Geographical Information Systems
• Good organisation and management skills
• Excellent presentation skills, both oral and written
• The ability to work in different settings and to liaise with different groups
• Experience in handling large health and household survey data
• Experience in Geographical Information Systems
• Experience within governmental or non-governmental agencies
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
Job Experience:No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.