Associate Technical Officer - WASH
Jobs at:Gold Star Kenya
Deadline of this Job:
09 June 2021
Date Posted: Friday, May 07, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job Type: Full Time
Job Field: Engineering / Technical
The SBCC specialist will lead social and behavior change and community initiatives aimed at promoting demand for quality FP/RMNCAH services including WASH and Nutrition. The work of the SBC specialist will focus on community-level action related to improving knowledge and quality of existing health services as well as improving promotive, preventive and curative care provided at home. The SBCC specialist will have a commitment to reaching the underserved and hard-to-reach communities, with a focus on working to understand and remove existing barriers to high-quality care and mobilization for social and political support at community, county and sub-county levels to create and sustain an enabling environment for the delivery of key interventions. The SBCC specialist will ensure communities are aware of the available and importance of FP/RMNAH, WASH and Nutrition services and are encouraged to access these services and adopt beneficial health behaviors while shunning harmful individual and household behaviors. The SBCC specialist will also ensure that providers including CHVs and community champions are well-equipped to engage with and disseminate information to members of the community. S/he will champion engagement with the CHVs through the support of essential components of Community Health Strategy within the Community Units in the project coverage areas (Nakuru County) including trainings, household visit, mapping and support supervision, documentation and review of records and ensuring that the referral systems to increase access to integrated services at the community level is functioning.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Provide strategic thinking, guidance and support at county level, in promoting healthy behaviors related to FP/RMNCAH, WASH and Nutrition.
• Together with STO-RMNCAH, work with key county and sub county stakeholders -to develop guidelines and policies that facilitate implementation and adoption of healthy behaviors related to FP/RMNCAH, WASH and Nutrition.
• In collaboration with MERL team, monitor and evaluate the impact of Tujenge Jamii’s SBCC activities and strategy.
• Together with STO- STO-RMNCAH, develop and pilot test SBCC approaches, materials and tools relying on innovative and agile methodologies.
• Work with other project staff and partners to utilize data in solution design and concept testing, including developing and organizing capacity building activities related to behavior change for FP/RMNCAH, WASH and Nutrition.
• Contribute to development of thematic communication strategies and implement multi-media and community level activities that lead to strengthened awareness and demand for services.
• Promote and support the documentation and dissemination of best practices among project teams and partners. This includes preparation of presentations, briefs and articles for presentations.
• Together with STO-RMNCAH, partners and stakeholders, lead the identification, production and/or adaptation of related job aids, or promotional materials related to FP/RMNCAH, WASH and Nutrition.
• Work collaboratively with SBCC team and other project teams to contribute to annual work planning, resource availability and activity management for efficient and effective program implementation.
• Contribute to timely, accurate, and appropriate reporting of SBCC activities and results including quarterly and annual progress reports.
• Support the Sub-County teams to develop sub-county specific activity plans and track the implementation, including providing TA to CHEWS, sub-county focal persons, CHVs and other community champions such as the youth champions to conduct social mobilization, dialogue days, health action days, integrated outreaches for community action and demand creation.
• Work with the County’s Community strategy focal person to support the strengthening of Community units in identified sub counties.
• In collaboration with MERL team, lead the development and strengthening of community health information system including periodic data quality reviews and dissemination and utilization of data collection, reporting and referral tools.
Knowledge and Experience:
• Demonstrated experience in identifying barriers to behavior change and developing effective behavior change communications plans including innovative strategies for addressing them-with a focus on FP/RMNCAH, WASH and Nutrition.
• Expertise in strategic communication principles and practices and solid mastery of health behavior change theory grounded in applied field applications.
• Experience and ability to design formative research and evaluations of comprehensive health behavior change initiatives, including the development of data collection instruments and the analysis and utilization of qualitative data.
• Knowledge and experience in designing and implementing evidence-based behavior change approaches that incorporate the role of product, social factors and environment in facilitating change.
• Experience with and working knowledge of GOK’s National health system and the Community Health Strategy.
• Working knowledge and experience in the application of the USAID accelerator behaviors on FP/MNCAH, WASH and Nutrition.
• Previous experience working with international organizations as well as USAID-funded programs.
• Excellent community mobilization and facilitation skills.
• Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office Suite and experience in the use of new and emerging innovative application of information technology tools in social and behavior change communication to reach audiences effectively and at scale.
• Demonstrated success in planning, facilitation, and management of events including
stakeholder/audience consultation workshops, materials/product pretesting activities, focus groups, meetings, conferences, and program launches.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, writing and oral presentation skills and proficient in both English and Kiswahili.
Minimum Requirement Standards:
1. Minimum Master’s degree in one of the following or related fields: Social Sciences, Anthropology, health communications, behavioral sciences, health promotion, or community development with 3-5 years of relevant experience
2. Extensive experience designing, managing, and evaluating culturally-sensitive behavior change components of FP/RMNCAH, WASH and Nutrition programs.
3. Familiarity with the principles and approaches in community mobilization and SBCC and the application of information technology in development programs.
4. Must have training in HIV related SBCC approaches
5. Minimum 5 years experiences implementing evidence based interventions among community structures focusing on ASRH , mobilization
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Gold Star Kenya has a competitive compensation package and is an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the Job Title provided on the subject line while sending your application & CV in one folder (pdf format) including salary requirements and availability to be received by 9th May 2021.
Kindly note that only shortlisted persons will be contacted.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.