Jobs at:United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Deadline of this Job:
30 November 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Budget Associate is responsible for assisting the concerned manager in ensuring that resource allocation decisions are documented and accurately recorded in MSRP, that budget submissions are reviewed and evaluated to support decision-making, and that budget, income and expenditure analysis are regularly performed and cases of significant variances/issues timely reported to management. The incumbent may directly supervises some support staff. Contacts on administrative/budgetary related issues are mainly with Sections/Units/Offices within the organization both at HQ and in the Field.
• Assist in the preparation of the Offices budgetary and financial reports for external governance and oversight bodies.
• Assist in maintaining in-depth understanding of the (geographical) area of responsibility to facilitate the analysis of budget management and budget submissions.
• Produce budgetary and financial reports and tables in support of internal recurrent processes such as the annual programme review, revenue allocation, mid-year review, year-end accounts closure, finance meetings, and other as well as of ad-hoc reports and queries.
• Under the guidance of the supervisor and in close coordination with the Regional Controller or the Office of the Controller, provide advice regarding the interpretation of policies and procedures and on their practical application.
• Assist in maintaining budgetary systems and participate/provide inputs to gap analysis and to the testing of system upgrades and enhancements.
• Support the planning for financial requirements, assist the Supervisor in providing useful analysis of past year trends and future projections, in relation to the strategic directions and planned activities, reviewing and ensuring the quality, coherence, consistency and completeness of budget submissions for the initial allocation and subsequent reallocations of resources during the programme year, so that the use of available resources is prioritised and optimised.
• Disseminate Budget Committee decisions and ensure timely and accurate implementation of decisions.
• Assist in supporting and monitoring the management of grants from donors, including the appropriate financial reporting considering earmarking limitations.
• Contribute with analysis, documentation, or any other relevant input the preparation of notes and answer to audit queries; ensure the implementation of budget-related audit recommendations.
• Participate in the recruitment of local budget-related personnel.
• Check budget impact of position change requests (creations, discontinuations, upgrades).
• Check funding source of requests for Temporary Assistance (sufficient ABOD or vacant position).
• Provide training and support to colleagues within the office, in other Divisions in HQ and the field on budget and systems issues.
• Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
• For G6 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
• Certificates and/or Licenses
• Training or certification in accounting*, budgeting, financial procedures or relevant fields.
• (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
• Work experience in Finance and budget.
• Working knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
• Excellent computer skills ranging from the use of the most advanced functions and features of MS Excel (e.g. pivot tables and V lookups) to the use of corporate ERPs.
• Knowledge of UNHCR budgeting methodology and structure.
• Knowledge of MSRP PeopleSoft, its ledgers, modules, and chart fields and Hyperion.
• Knowledge of Focus as a planning, implementation and reporting tool.
• BU-PeopleSoft EPM/Budget
• *IT-Computer Literacy
• BU-UN/UNHCR Budgetary cycle
• UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures
• (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
• For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
• For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
• For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 48
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested and qualified? Go to United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) on unhcr.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.