Chief Infrastructure Investment Officer
Jobs at:African Development Bank
Deadline of this Job:
31 July 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Chief Infrastructure Investment Officer
The core responsibilities of this position is to identify business opportunities and structure transactions related to private investments in transport and urban development infrastructures and services and originate projects for Bank financing. The primary location for this position is Nairobi, Kenya. But depending on the selected candidate’s skill sets (e.g. language) and expertise, the other location can be considered.
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Division Manager the Chief investment officer will
Project Development and Processing
• Liaise and coordinate with other Investment Officers and Bank staff in business development and the origination of a good quality investment pipeline.
• Proactively identify potential investment partners and opportunities based on industry experience, reputation, market potential, financial capability, and strategic fit.
• Assess the attractiveness of specific investment opportunities with a strong focus on credit quality and development impact and make recommendations management.
• Build and maintain strong relationships with other departments, clients, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to develop specific investment opportunities.
• Prepare project concept notes and appraisal reports for presentation to the department, review committees, senior management and finally the Board of Directors.
• Execute loans, guarantees or equity financing including processing mandates, conducting due diligence, structuring deals, negotiating terms and documentation, arranging syndications, and processing internal approvals.
• Coordinate with sector colleagues, the internal approvals to proactively find pragmatic solutions to emerging/specific sector challenges.
• Develop investment promotion strategies in Africa, including targeting potential investors and promoting AfDB’s products and services proactively.
• Work with the legal department to ensure that all deals have appropriate legal documentation and that financial close is achieved, and hand over projects to portfolio management staff.
Design specific innovative transactions, projects and initiatives
• Undertakes the work on aspects of investments and infrastructure development and aligns them with institutional objectives.
• Works with regional teams/country offices to design and implement sector development support programs.
• Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close new transactions, with a strong focus on credit and asset quality (include processing mandates, due diligence, negotiating term sheets and other documentation, syndications and board approval).
• Provide support to others and portfolio teams in processing and supervising projects
External Liaison and Knowledge Sharing
• Contribute to the documentation of lessons learned from investment operations and emerging best practices in areas of expertise
• Participate in and contribute to information and experience sharing sessions with internal and external stakeholders
• Participate in and contribute to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building relating to AfDB’s investments/operations, products and initiatives.
• Provide peer review to other colleagues to share industry knowledge and information on respective sector
• Provide technical leadership and support to knowledge and lesson sharing approaches and events with internal and external stakeholders.
• Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to develop specific investment opportunities.
Policy and Project Evaluation
• Provide input and comments on project, policy and other papers related to respective sector operations and development across a range of key themes and sectors.
Strategy, Planning and Reporting
• Participate in relevant teams for planning and programming purposes.
• Contribute to develop sector strategies at regional level
• Assist in the development of the relevant Department’s knowledge management strategy and assist in execution of the strategy.
• Coordinate closely with social, environmental, advisory and technical assistance colleagues in order to champion AfDB’s value to our clients’ businesses, find pragmatic solutions to the specific sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact.
COMPETENCIES (skills, experience and knowledge)
• At least a Master Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics or in related areas, a professional qualification such as: Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Chartered Accountant (ACCA) is an added advantage.
• Have a minimum of Seven (7) Years of professional experience in financial structuring and infrastructure project finance origination gained from a Commercial/Investment Bank, Development Finance Institution, Infrastructure/Private Equity Fund, Sovereign Wealth Fund, Project Developer, established Accounting/Consulting Firm.
• Having private sector experience is mandatory. Working experience in multinational organization or similar organization/s in Africa and emerging markets would be considered an advantage.
• Proven ability to identify, process, and negotiate complex transactions in the infrastructure sector from a private sector standpoint and in particular related to transportation assets and services.
• Thorough understanding of the Transport infrastructure and related services, in particular, Ports, Airports, Highways and Mass Transit Systems, and Infrastructure markets. A familiarity of PPP infrastructure project development is an advantage.
• Strong analytical and financial structuring/ modeling skills as well as sound business judgment.
• Demonstrates ability to coordinate, participate in, and act as a catalyst for, strategic cross-sector dialogues within the networks, across the country, among Bank colleagues and other development institutions, governments and other organizations.
• A familiarity with climate finance and project development experience in climate resilient infrastructure is an would be considered a strong advantage.
• Ability to contribute to sound decisions and contribute to the execution of the decisions
• Ability to initiate, effectively and independently interact with the senior government officials, senior management of potential clients
• Strong commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits to the Bank and its clients.
• Excellent problem-solving capabilities applies business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifies solutions to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the organization.
• Excellent organizational, administrative, and time management skills
• Proven ability to work with limited supervision and efficiently to deliver under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
• Ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively in English and/or French. A good knowledge of the other working languages, e.g. Arabic, Portuguese, is desirable.
• Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
Closing: 31 July 2022
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.