Chief Internal Auditor
Jobs at:Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University of Science and Technology
Deadline of this Job:
15 May 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job Responsibility and Roles
The Chief Internal Auditor shall provide leadership and facilitate provision of objective assurance and consulting services in the assessment of the adequacy of risk management, control and governance processes put in place by management in order to add value and improve the university’s operations. The Chief Internal Auditor shall be administratively and functionally answerable to the Vice Chancellor and the Council, respectively. The Chief Internal Auditor shall also perform such official duties as may be delegated or assigned to him/her by the Council or Vice Chancellor. He/she shall be responsible for the following:
• Prepare annual departmental work plans adopting a risk-based approach to ensure that work done is accomplished within the required time.
• Review and present audit reports to the Audit, Risk and Governance Committee of Council to provide transparency in the operations of different functions within the university
• Conduct systems audits in order to provide reasonable assurance that key operating systems are functioning effectively and that strategic/ operational objectives are consistently met in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
• Conduct risk-based audits to provide reasonable assurance that Risk Management processes and structures put in place by management function effectively.
• Conduct staff appraisal to provide feedback to staff in the department on their work and also to identify staff for recommendation for promotion
• Facilitate formulation and implementation of internal audit policies and operations to ensure conformance to quality standards \
• Identify and critically evaluate elements of governance and risk management and design appropriate risk management and mitigation strategies for implementation
• Report to the audit committee of council on risk-based audits conducted in every quarter of the financial year
• Provide consulting services to various departments in order to develop appropriate risk management, control and governance processes to enhance level of assurance to management
• Initiate investigations and special audits on irregularities identified to ensure that proper controls are in place to prevent recurrence of the same
• Facilitate follow up audits on outstanding audit issues to confirm if corrective actions as recommended have been taken
• Carry out forensic audits as and when needed
• Appraisal, preparation of summaries and discussion of audit findings with relevant departments or sections
• Revise and review existing internal audit control systems in order to ensure that they function effectively
• Discuss audit issues with the relevant departments in order to confirm audit findings and present corrective measures
• Serve as secretary to the audit committee of council in order to keep records of the proceedings of the meeting.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
• PhD holder in Finance, Accounting or any other related field with (ten )10 years’ experience OR Master degree in in Finance, Accounting or any other related field with fifteen (15) years of relevant experience with the Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, economics or its equivalent
• Must have served as Deputy Chief Internal Auditor or equivalent for at least three (3) years in a university or equivalent institution.
• Holder of the CPA(K), ACCA and CIA or CISA qualification.
• Must be a member to relevant professional body for example Institute of Certified Public Accountants and Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) or ISACA with at least three (3) years in good standing since registration.
• Knowledge and experience in use CAATs
• Knowledge of use of Audit software and ERP System is desirable
• Knowledge of audit principles, procedures and practices including the concept of risk and risk
• Demonstrate outstanding qualities of leadership, coordination and organizational capabilities, at top management level.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Terms of Service
Successful candidates will be employed on Permanent and Pensionable Terms EXCEPT for the position of Chief Finance Officer and Chief Internal Auditor which shall be on a five (5)-year Contract Terms renewable based on satisfactory performance.
How to apply
Candidates are advised to visit Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University of Science and Technology website www.jooust.ac.ke for the positions advertised.
Candidates who satisfy the requirement stated above should forward their application both in soft and hard copy, quoting the reference number for the position applied for including up to date curriculum vitae, details of current remuneration, certified copies of academic and professional certificates, and testimonials as well as names and contacts ( including postal and email addresses, and daytime telephone numbers) of three referees to reach the under-mentioned So as to be received on or before 15th May 2022 by 5.00 pm.
Applicants should also meet the requirements of chapter six (6) of the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University of Science and Technology
P.O. Box 210 – 40601,
TEL. 057 – 2501804
Email – email@example.com
Only successful candidates shall be contacted.
Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University of Science and Technology is an equal opportunity employer. Women and Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Any canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. The University does not charge any fee for the recruitment and selection process.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.