Chief of Party - USAID-funded Private Sector Activity (Kenya)
Jobs at:CORUS International
Deadline of this Job:
Sunday, April 30 2023
Date Posted:Sunday, April 30 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
About Corus: Corus International is the parent of a family of world-class organizations working to deliver the holistic, lasting solutions needed to end extreme poverty once and for all. We are a global leader in international development, with 150 years of combined experience across our brands. Our nonprofit and for-profit subsidiaries include IMA World Health and its fundraising brand Corus World Health, Lutheran World Relief, CGA Technologies, Ground Up Investing, and Farmers Market Brands. Our more than 800 employees around the globe are experts in their fields and dedicated to helping the world's most vulnerable people break the cycle of poverty and lead healthy lives. Further details about the organization can be found at: https://corusinternational.org
Founded in 1945, Lutheran World Relief is an international development organization working across Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Middle East. We collaborate with local partners to grow inclusive and climate resilient rural economies, reduce poverty, and we respond to natural disasters and humanitarian crises. Lutheran World Relief leads rural economic development programming at Corus International
About The Job: Lutheran World Relief is seeking a Chief of Party to lead an anticipated USAID-funded Private Sector Activity to accelerate agriculture-led growth in Kenya. The 5-year project with focus on 1) creating jobs and generating large scale increases in sales/exports in the agriculture sector; and 2) supporting a range of agricultural firms to expand investments and operations via a blended finance approach.
The Chief of Party will serve as the primary liaison with USAID, Government of Kenya, other implementing development partners working in Kenya, and LWR's headquarters, and relevant project stakeholders fostering collaborative working relationships. S/he will ensure the project's goals, objectives, and strategy are achieved and that contractual requirements are met on time and within budget. S/he is responsible for directing the project team with an integrated vision, applying effective leadership and strategic planning skills, management experience, outstanding interpersonal skills, and strong written and oral communication skills. The Chief of Party supervises the day-to-day work of staff, overseas project implementation to ensure quality programming. The Chief of Party also ensures that all management systems, from technical to M&E to finance, actively support timely and accurate project reporting and cost effectiveness for successful implementation of the project. The Chief of Party also is responsible for ensuring compliance with Corus's policies and procedures and USAID rules and regulations, including responsibility for ensuring sub-awardee compliance and monitoring the quality of program implementation. The competencies required to be successful in this position include a theoretical and practical understanding of global agricultural market systems and resilience areas; personnel and project management skills; the ability to motivate and lead teams; and the demonstrated ability to operate at advanced levels of authority and accountability for achieving results.
The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and will report Senior Regional Director for East, Central, and Southern Africa. The Chief of Party will be expected to visit project sites periodically. Actual hiring is contingent upon signed agreement and USAID approval. Kenyan nationals are highly encouraged to apply.
1. Provide overall management, strategic direction, and technical leadership to the project to achieve expected project results within budget and timeframe
2. Serve as principal liaison to USAID and the Government of Kenya, ensuring high levels of coordination, while nurturing relationships with all key stakeholders (including partner organizations at the national and subnational level) on administrative, financial, and programmatic matters related to the project
3. Liaise with USAID partners and other donors, as well as implementing partners and stakeholders, to ensure coordination of and harmonization with other relevant agriculture, market systems, economic growth, private sector engagement, and Feed the Future activities in Kenya
4. Lead project teams (e.g., technical, program, finance, and operational staff) to ensure program tasks, deliverables, and responsibilities are met; staff management includes hiring, supervising, and mentoring project staff
5. Oversee project deliverables, including ensuring report preparation and high-quality timely submission, and ensuring cross-cutting issues are effectively integrated into project implementation
6. Direct preparation of annual work plans, project activity updates, and other project-related communication and reporting materials
7. Represent the project in all technical, policy, and programmatic fora at all levels (county, national, and international)
8. Ensure compliance with USAID rules and regulations
1. Advanced graduate degree in agricultural economics, business administration, international development, governance, or related field.
2. Minimum of 10 years of professional experience, with progressively increasing responsibilities and duties in a field related to the successful implementation of the project, such as agriculture, agribusiness, market systems development, value chain development, and/or private sector capacity building for improvement of market systems.
3. Proven technical expertise using market systems and facilitation approaches to strengthen agricultural value chains and agricultural inputs, including at least eight years of senior-level management experience working on international donor agency-funded projects.
4. Familiarity with USAID's approaches to market systems, agricultural inputs in Kenya, and/or small/medium enterprise development approaches in support of such development.
5. Demonstrated experience in developing and maintaining strong relationships with government agencies, international donor agencies (USAID, WB, FCDO, UN agencies, GF, etc.), and private sector stakeholders.
6. Experience collaborating and coordinating with local and national host government agencies and aligning program activities and results with national strategies.
7. Demonstrated leadership qualities, including technical, management, and evaluation expertise for complex programs in resource-constrained countries; prior experience as a Chief of Party for USAID-funded projects over $25 million is required.
8. Knowledge of and experience with USAID rules and regulations required.
9. Deep knowledge of the political, social, and economic context of Kenya required, with experience working in Kenya preferred.
10. Strong staff supervision skills and demonstrated ability to coordinate programs with partners from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences; demonstrated ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams.
11. Strong communication skills, including both written and oral presentation skills; proven ability to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse public and private partners.
12. English and fluency with professional proficiency in writing required; knowledge of Swahili is an asset
13. Willingness and ability to travel to project sites within Kenya.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.