Chief of Unit, Finance, P4
Jobs at:United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON)
Deadline of this Job:
14 June 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Chief of Unit, Finance, P4
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the respective office of the Secretary-General. UNON supports programme implementation of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) the Resident Coordinator Systems (RCS) and the UN Human Settlements Programme UNHABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org). This position is in the Finance Section within the Budget and Financial Management Service of the United Nations Office in Nairobi. The incumbent reports directly to the Chief of Accounts . The Chief of the Payroll Unit is responsible overseeing the processing payroll payments and other staff benefits for staff administered by the United Nations Office in Nairobi.
• Manages a complete multicurrency Payroll financial operation, encompassing a wide variety of funding cases, currencies, a large value of transactions, and extensive dispersed activities.
• Approves/Confirms that proposed Payroll processing is in accordance with the Financial Regulations and Rules of the UN as well as relevant Payroll Procedures.
• Analyses accounts, reviews/prepares regular Payroll financial reports.
• Proposes/implements solutions with respect to problem transactions and irregularities.
• Ensures that accurate and complete Payroll processing, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained.
• Prepares monthly Payroll reports confirming accuracy of Payroll processing.
• Responds to internal/external audit observations.
• Provides substantive support to ensure timely completion and submission of separation-related documentation for pension and insurance purposes.
• Takes initiative to improve accounting processes and approaches.
• Provides data for the preparation of year-end performance reports.
• Guides, trains and supervises staff in the function.
• Performs other related duties as required.
• PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of processing of multi-currency payroll. Knowledge of accounting principles, procedures and standards. Ability to apply conceptual, analytical and evaluative skills in accounting operations. Ability to conduct independent research and analysis, identify issues, formulate options and make conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
• Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business administration, finance, accounting or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA) or equivalent is desirable.
Job - Specific Qualification
• For this position, Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA) or equivalent is desirable, please explain how you meet this criterion.
• A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in accounting, finance, budget, administration, or related area is required.
• At least three (3) years of working experience in multi-currency payroll processing is desirable.
• Experience in developing internal controls applicable to multi-currency payroll reconciliation is desirable.
• Experience in processing global adjustments applicable to periodic benefits of a large multicurrency benefit scheme is desirable.
• English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French or another UN official language is desirable.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Job application procedure
Interested and qualified? Go to United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) on careers.un.org to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.