Consultant - Microbiology Laboratory Tendering at World Health Organization
Purpose of consultancy
To develop a high quality, proficient global laboratory network for microbiology Vaccine Preventable Disease (VPD) surveillance.Similar Jobs in Kenya
Learn more about World Health Organization
World Health Organization jobs in Kenya
1.1: Work with the WHO headquarters’ Global Laboratory Coordinator for VPD networks and with WHO regional office focal points to implement the global external quality assessment (EQA) programmes for VPD laboratory networks and verify that all network laboratories participate in the yearly proficiency testing panels surveys.
1.2: Provide technical assistance to the VPD sentinel, national and regional network laboratories to achieve and maintain prescribed proficiency standards as applicable through accreditation and external quality assurance programmes through regular and ad hoc meetings and online discussions as well as on site visits to assess the performance of these laboratories.Expected by late 2023.
2.1: Develop and prepare laboratory manuals for Typhoid fever, Japanese Encephalitis, Invasive Bacterial Diseases for use by the VPD sentinel, national, and regional laboratories.
2.2: Provide essential diagnostics to network laboratories.
3.1: Develop and provide technical guidelines and standard operational procedures to strengthen the laboratories of the Global Pediatric Diarrhea Surveillance (GPDS) programme and Global Rotavirus Surveillance Network (GRSN) programme, as well as periodic remote and onsite meetings with the laboratories of the GPDS and GRSN.
3.2: Work with regional offices and country focal points in the timely implementation of activities to enable other VPD laboratory networks in reaching the VPD surveillance programmes objectives.Qualifications, experience, skills and languages.
• Advanced university degree in clinical microbiology, virology or public health laboratory science or a related field.
• Training in epidemiology and data analysis.
• Training in managing data and producing graphics.Desirable:
• PhD/Doctorate degree in bacteriology, virology or microbiology laboratory sciences.Experience
• At least seven years of relevant experience working in laboratory-based surveillance or laboratory networks coordination and data analysis in the public health sector.
• Demonstrated experience with implementation of quality assurance and laboratory accreditation.
• Experience in molecular data analysis including DNA sequence alignment and phylogeny.
• Demonstrated experience in developing and/or coordinating development of manuals for laboratory procedures including but not limited to standard operating procedures (SOP) for laboratories.
• Extensive experience in coordinating and managing laboratory scientific projects and a strong understanding of VPD laboratory and surveillance networks.Desirable
• Relevant experience working with countries and laboratories in low resource settings.
• Demonstrated experience in health sector programme coordination and implementation.
• Experience working in the UN system or other significant partner organization in the field of laboratory practices.Skills
• Demonstrated knowledge of laboratory diagnosis of VPDs pathogens, quality assurance systems and laboratory management.
• Demonstrated ability to coordinate a global VPDs laboratory networks.
• Demonstrated understanding of, and formulating effective responses to, the unique challenges of public health surveillance in the developing world and capacity to interact successfully with members of partner organizations.
• Strong analytical and writing skills to identify critical technical issues and prepare a variety of documents, able to present and explain complex ideas and information in a succinct, logical way that is easy to understand.
• Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to clearly communicate information orally and in writing, to a diverse professional staff, regarding public health surveillance operations, laboratory procedures, requirements, standards, or special project activities and progress.
• Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills, with ability to facilitate and strengthen the involvement and collaboration of a broad range of partners.
• Ability to work as a member of a team in a multi-cultural environment and a partnership to achieve common goals, and to work and manage the networks independently
• Demonstrated ability to work towards deadlines and within budget constraints, in collaboration with a diverse range of stakeholders
• Familiarity with the UN system, including knowledge of WHO country, regional and global functions.Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to World Health Organization on careers.who.int