Country Financial Management Associate
Jobs at:International Fund for Agricultural Development
Deadline of this Job:
26 December 2022
Date Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• The focus of the incumbent is on the provision of both standard and specialized activities pertaining to disbursements financial management tasks and systems.
• Specialized activities pertain to the application of finance regulations and rules requiring the selection, interpretation and assembly of information and data from several sources in examining problems for which several possible solutions exist but which are covered by precedent and general practice. Issues requiring clarification and decision are directed to the supervisor. Standard activities include all other processes not requiring the application of formal regulations and rules.
• All finance staff support the Fund’s finance strategy as well as commitment to financial integrity by acting as a responsive service provider with a focus on results and driven by IFAD’s mission and values. The incumbent is a credible, trusted assistant to the client offices served and the Department/Division/Unit where assigned.
• The incumbent is also accountable for specialized support pertaining to complex financial processes requiring interpretation and application of rules and practices as well as an understanding of the Fund's policies and programmes.
Key Functions and Results
Financial Management Services:
The incumbent supports IFAD staff in the efficient and effective delivery of IFAD-supported projects. This involves loan and grant disbursement and administration and other financial management tasks, including substantive support to mission-related activities, tracking deliverables against established deadlines, data analysis, and support to oversight of project financial management, as required. Activities performed typically include:
• Assisting in the preparation of Financing Agreements and Financial Management and Financial Control Letters (FMFCL) for new projects or as amendments and revisions for existing projects, as required;
• Assisting in the initial review of audit reports and mission reports by identifying transactions or amounts that require examination or follow-up with Borrowers, following up on timely submission of financial and audit reports and reports indicating action taken on supervision mission recommendations; liaising with internal and external clients as required;
• Assisting in the finalization and dispatch of audit compliance and other financial management correspondence to Borrowers;
• Supporting the diligent review of selected Withdrawal Applications (WA) received from Borrowers/Recipients to confirm the Borrower’s entitlement to requested funds, assisting in review of supporting documents and financial reports to validate these Applications against approved loans and grants, in compliance with departmental policies and guidelines through the risk based disbursement techniques, and to record these transactions into the institutional systems e.g. (ICP, FMDB, ARTS);
• Assisting in determination of disbursement risk ratings based on documented fiduciary risks and characteristics of WAs, based on departmental guidelines, providing inputs to risk based disbursement master table to record; and
• Researching and collecting data from internal and external sources for reports/queries for monitoring divisional performance indicators, for monitoring project closure status and ensuring appropriate follow-up;
• Assisting with the development of improved practices and procedures;
• Supporting officers with the hiring and contract management of short term financial management consultants, including monitoring missions and contract cycle;
• Assisting in the preparation of financial management workshops or other capacity building events;
• Ensuring that relevant financial documents are stored in institutional FMDB and ARTS systems; and
• As appropriate, supporting activities related to the oversight of project financial management in coordination with and under the overall guidance of the (Senior) Finance Officers.
Job Profile Requirements
• Building relationships and partnerships - Builds and maintains effective working relationships
• Communicating and negotiating - Communicates effectively; creates understanding between self and others
• Demonstrating leadership - Personal leadership and attitude to change
• Focusing on clients - Focuses on clients
• Learning, sharing knowledge and innovating - Continuously seeks to learn, shares knowledge & innovates
• Managing performance and developing staff -
• Managing time, resources and information - Manages own time, information and resources effectively
• Problem-solving and decision-making - Demonstrates sound problem-solving and decision-making ability
• Strategic thinking and organizational development - Personal influence
• Team working - Contributes effectively to the team
• Level - High school diploma. Baccalaureate is preferred.
• A university degree from an accredited institution in a relevant technical area will be an advantage
• Areas - accounting, finance, business administration
• Degree must be an accredited institution listed on https://www.whed.net/home.php .
• At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in financial administration.
• Position-specific experience: At least 2 year(s) of relevant accounting or financial administration experience, preferably in an international financial institution, or another multi-cultural organization or institution or a national organization.
• Required: English (4 – Excellent)
• Desireable: Working knowledge of French or Spanish (3 – Good)
• Procedure adherence: Ability to strictly adhere to established, formal guidelines, including in new situations
• Procedure interpretation: Ability to interpret established, formal guidelines to address and recommend solutions or further actions required
• Topical expertise - Administration: Expertise relevant to the specific role (e.g. For ethics office assistant, procedures outlined in the Code of Conduct, Discipline and Anti-harassment provisions of applicable rules and guidelines)
• Written communication: Ability to use written communication as a main tool in profession, including for speech writing; clear, succinct and convincing written communication; highly professional, balanced and diplomatic language
• Financial reporting & accounting: Know-how in financial reporting, statutory and other reporting as well as advanced application of IFRS standards, derivatives, loan credit risk, financial regulations, policies, rules and procedures applicable to IFAD and IFIs
• Time management: Adherence to deadlines under time constraints and pressure (e.g. to deliver governing body documents on time); ability to coordinate and manage complex workflows and in-house and external teams
• Basic ICT & digital fluency: Expertise relevant to the specific role (e.g. in-depth, computer information systems, including micro-computer operating systems software, hardware and applications software and other office technology equipment), end-user computing configuration management
• Client orientation: Strong critical thinking combined with communication skills to liaise between the business and technologies to understand business problems and needs, document requirements and identify solutions
• Problem solving: Strong systemic and structured thinking, ability to identify and dissect problems into components and formulate a comprehensive set of creative viable and sustainable solutions and strategies
• Loans & grants: Know-how in designing loan and grant operations and managing loan and grant preparation process
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.