Deputy Accountant General
Jobs at:Kericho County
Deadline of this Job:
Sunday, July 09 2023
Date Posted: Thursday, July 06 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Duties and Responsibilities
An officer at this level may be deployed at the Accountant General’s office or a large Accounting Unit. In the Accountant General’s Office an officer in this grade will head a division where duties will entail:
• Reviewing the applications of accounting standards and systems including IFMIS and recommending changes and improvements;
• Attending Public Accounts Committee hearings as necessary;
• Overseeing cash management and exchequer operations both for expenditure and revenue in liaison with the Central Bank of Kenya and other banks;
• Monitoring banking arrangements in the Departments under their division;
• Drafting and revising regulations for new and existing funds respectively;
• Monitoring and ensuring timely production of management and stationary financial reports including the bi-annual accounts;
• Monitoring data management both for Departments under their division for IFMIS and other systems in liaison with Government Information Technology Services (GITS) Department;
• Reviewing and investigating losses including making recommendations for write-offs requested by Departments;
• Follow up with Heads of Accounting Units (HAU) on non compliance with standards, circulars, financial regulations and procedures, letters and instructions;
• Ensure safe custody of government assets and records under him/her; and
• Supervision, training, development and deployment of accounts staff in the unit;
• In an Accounting Unit, an officer at this level will be responsible to the Accounting officer of the respective ministry/department for planning, organizing, coordinating and administration of all accounting activities within the accounting unit;
• Acting as liaison officer between the accounting unit and the Accountant General;
• Provision of advisory services to the Accounting officer and other stakeholders on all financial and accounting matters in an accounting unit;
• Ensuring proper interpretation and implementation of financial regulations and procedures, treasury circulars, letters and instructions;
• Developing supplementary financial regulations and procedures to enhance internal controls established through normal treasury regulations and procedures;
• Provision of quality and timely accounting services in the accounting unit including maintenance of accurate accounting records and preparation of management and statutory financial reports ensuring conformity to the law;
• Participate fully in departmental committees’ especially tender, planning, audit, training, etc.;
• Authorizing payments, sign cheques, identify suitable cheques signatories and set limits as appropriate;
• Maintain an inventory on all bank accounts in the accounting unit and their approved signatories including sub-counties;
• Ensuring safe custody of government assets and records;
• Attending Public Accounts Committee hearings; and supervision, training, development and deployment of accounts staff in the unit.
Requirements for Appointment
For appointment to this grade, an officer must have:-
• Relevant working experience of fifteen (15) years in the Accounting, Audit or Financial field; or Served in the grade of Senior Assistant Accountant General, Job Group ‘Q’ or in a comparable and relevant position in the Public Service for a minimum period of three (3) years;
• Passed Part III of Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Examination or its recognized equivalent;
• Masters degree in any of the following disciplines:- Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Commerce or their relevant equivalent qualification from an approved institution;
• Registered with the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK) and Registration of Accountants Board (RAB);
• Attended a Strategic Leadership Development Course lasting not less than four (4) weeks from a recognized institution;
• Shown merit and ability as reflected in work performance and results.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
• Only County Government of Kericho employees are eligible to apply and are required to register first through:
• Interested and qualified? Click here to apply
• Applicants MUST attach letter of Appointment/last promotion
• Applicants MUST attach original scanned: National Identity
• cards /passport, Appointment/promotion letters, curriculum vitae, testimonials, academic and professional certificates other testimonials on or before Friday 9th July, 2023.
• Details of the qualifications and requirements can be obtained from the County Public Service Board website.
• Any application/s sent through post or hand delivered will NOT be accepted/ considered.
• Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.