Deputy Finance Manager
Jobs at:Catholic Relief Services
Deadline of this Job:
07 July 2022
Date Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
You will oversee all the financial management activities that ensure the accuracy, timeliness, and documentation of the Finance Department’s accounting operations and financial reporting (monthly, quarterly, yearly, and as needed) in support of high-quality programs se rving the poor and vulnerable. You will help set the standard for the Country Program’s (CP’s) financial stewardship through professional maintenance, utilization, and analysis of all cash resources controlled by the CP.
You will assist the Finance Manager assume leadership on all financial affairs of the country program, including coordination and management oversight of all financial activities in the country program as well supervision to the Projects Finance Officers managing subrecipients financial management activities.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
• Oversee accounting processes, policies, and service delivery and maintain accounting controls to ensure accurate, complete, and timely recording and management of financial transactions and internal controls in compliance with CRS’ financial management policies and procedures, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), donors’ rules and regulations, and legal requirements.
• Ensure setup and maintenance of all data required for processing financial transactions for assigned accounts in Insight financial accounting package. This will include following of invoice approvals in insight and clearing out exception reports for the purpose of month end closure tasks.
• Record financial transactions following appropriate authorizations. Review and analyze various accounts to detect irregularities. Advise on corrective actions and prepare correcting entries and adjustments, as necessary.
• Support in the preparation of and analysis of donor reports and other financial reports for various internal and external stakeholders ensuring their timely submission and attend regular meetings with them when required.
• Support in the business proposal development in fundraising activities for both co-operative agreements and contracts with the business development team and be actively involved in the budget preparation including review of new project proposals for internal & external submission.
• Prepare, monitor, alert the program manager, facilitate, and manage the process of closing expiring grants within the ninety (90) days period as required in the grants closure period.
• Perform and support in assigned accounts payables and treasury duties (partner disbursements and liquidations) duties, as long as segregation of duties is ensured as per the job roles/personas.
• Review and analyze financial reports, including cost allocation of shared costs, to verify financial transactions. Prepare balance sheet account reconciliations to ensure all transactions are accurately stated and appropriately classified. Work with relevant staff to address irregularities and resolve accounting issues and ensure correction of accounting entries and payroll.
• Serve as the key point person on all issues related to financial transaction records. Provide proactive advice, support, and capacity building to managers, staff, and subrecipients to ensure compliance with standards and proper records of financial transactions, as well as to support strengthening of internal control.
• Ensure financial reports are generated accurately and disseminated timely as per established reporting schedules and assist staff and subrecipients with financial reports analysis.
• Oversee maintenance of a good filing system of required supporting documentation to ensure easy access and retrieval, and a reliable and easy to follow audit trail.
• Ensure efficient management of cash flows and availability of sufficient and optimal cash in the CP’s operating account through monitoring cash balances (both cash-in-bank and cash-on-hand), preparing bank reconciliations, analyzing, and forecasting cash needs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Excellent analytical skills with ability to make sound judgment and decisions
• Strong communications and presentation skills.
• Capable of working in a dynamic, results oriented environment; ability to multi-task across various work streams/priorities.
• Ability to build relationships and influence
• Accuracy and completeness with a strong eye for detail
• Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics
• Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
• Ability to work collaboratively Ability to transfer knowledge to others
• Substantial budgeting, budget/expense analysis, and accounting experience.
• Knowledge of the relevant public donors’ regulations preferred.
• Knowledge of local law in the area of taxation and local regulatory reporting procedures.
• Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications. Knowledge of Oracle Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) financial accounting software package or similar financial reporting software preferred and an additional advantage.
• Projects Finance Officers
• Excellent Communication Skills in both oral and written in English
• Must be willing and able to travel up to 20%. This is subject to change depending on the operational
Key Working Relationships:
• Finance Manager, Deputy Finance Manager – Operations, Projects Finance Officers, Operations Finance Officers, Regional Finance Managers, Regional Finance Officer, Risk and Compliance Manager, Regional Ethics Unit, Headquarters HQ Overseas Accounting Unit OAU, HQ Global Controller, HQ Global Risk Compliance Team, SMT, Budget Managers, relevant Operations staff relevant program/operations staff and HQ Internal Audit Team .
• Partners Finance Staff, Public & Private Donors, External Auditors and Represe ntatives
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration with courses in accounting, or a qualification in accounting (CPA/ACCA or equivalent). Master’s degree in a relevant discipline is an added advantage
• Minimum of at least five years’ experience in a position with similar responsibilities, preferably with an International NGO with at least three years in management
• Supervisory experience required.
• Demonstrated commitment to respect, equity, diversity and inclusion including gender equality.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
• Continuous Improvement & Innovation
• Builds Relationships
• Develops Talent
• Strategic Mindset
• Accountability & Stewardship
• This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
What we offer:
• CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
• Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
• CRS Kenya strives to be a place where a diverse mix of talented peo ple want to come and work, stay, and do their best.
• CRS provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate based on race, colour, religion, ancestry or national origin, sex, age, marital status, physical or mental disability or handicap, medical condition and any other status protected by law. As an equal opportunity employer, CRS will recruit, hire, train and promote persons solely on their qualifications and abilities. CRS Kenya strives to be a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and work, stay, and do their best.
• CRS’ emphasis on family values supports benefits, including maternity and paternity leave, policies that promote exclusive breastfeeding, the availability of a baby room at the office, and flexible working hours where possible. Women are highly encouraged to apply
• By applying to this job, I understand and a cknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviours related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
• Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.