Director, Internal Audit & Risk Assurance- SEKU Grade 3 (Formerly Grade 15)
Jobs at:South Eastern Kenya University (SEKU)
Deadline of this Job:
Friday, June 30 2023
Date Posted: Wednesday, June 21 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
TERMS: FIVE (5) YEAR RENEWABLE CONTRACT
• The Director is responsible for planning, developing and implementing an internal audit strategy that provides independent, objective assurance and consulting aimed at adding value, improving the operations of the University and establishing risk management controls and governance processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Formulating internal audit policies and programs in accordance to the professional standards that govern auditing.
• Establishing and assigning departmental goals to team members and evaluate their performance.
• Coaching, mentoring, and developing career paths for direct reports.
• Allocating of duties and responsibilities to the internal audit staff as per the work plan to ensure the objectives set are met.
• Secretary to the Audit, Governance and Risk Management Committee of Council.
• Overseeing the development and implementation of fraud investigation strategy to ensure all associated risks are detected in time.
• Developing and overseeing implementation of risk assessment framework to ensure less risk exposure.
• Developing internal audit budgets and work plans.
• Assessing training needs of internal audit staff for capacity building purposes.
• Developing annually a risk-based internal audit plan for Audit, Governance and risk Management Committee review and approval.
• Overseeing the implementation of the approved plan, ensure proper resourcing for implementation of the plan.
• Providing technical assistance with investigations, special audits, and provide subject-matter expertise as needed.
• Performing organization-wide risk assessments to identify significant risks or exposure related to internal controls or compliance with University’s policies and procedures, laws and regulations.
• Directing the work of external auditors on select audits, as directed by the Audit Committee and senior management, to ensure the audit work remains within the prescribed guidelines.
• Recommending University-wide training based on gaps identified to ensure adherence to University practices and policies.
Requirements for appointment.
• Be a holder of Masters Degree in Finance/Accounting option or its equivalent from an accredited and recognized university;
• Be a holder of Bachelors Degree in Finance/Accounting option or its equivalent from an accredited and recognized university;
• Must be a certified Public Accountant (K).
• Be registered with ICPAK OR IIAK K and in good standing.
• At least fifteen (15) years of cumulative relevant work experience, four (4) of which must be at management level in a public or private sector.
• Management course lasting not less than Four (4) weeks cumulatively from a recognized institution.
• Have outstanding professional competence and hands-on experience in Financial and Systems Audit and reporting.
• Be computer proficient (Accounting packages) with detailed understanding of ERP.
• Satisfy the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya on Leadership and Integrity upon successful appointment.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 180
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
All applications should be clearly marked with the reference number of the advertised position and submitted as follows: 1.
Interested applicants should send THREE (3) HARD COPIES of Application Letter, Curriculum Vitae (giving details of educational and professional qualifications, age, detailed work experience, present post and salary, applicant’s telephone number and e-mail address), Academic & Professional certificates and other relevant testimonials, to the address below, quoting clearly the relevant reference number on the envelope.
The Deputy Vice-Chancellor,
Administration and Human Resource Management
South Eastern Kenya University
P.O. BOX 170-90200,
All applications should be sent to the above address by Friday, 30th June, 2023. 2.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. 3.
SEKU is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates and persons living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.