Director - Weight and Measures
Jobs at:Ministry of Industrialization,Trade and Enterprise Development
Deadline of this Job:
13 June 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Director - Weight and Measures at Ministry of Industrialization,Trade and Enterprise Development
For appointment to this grade, a candidate must have:-
• served for a minimum period of three (3) years at the grade of Deputy Director,
• Weights and Measures CSG 6 or in a comparable and relevant position in the wider public service or private sector;
• a Bachelors Degree in any of the following disciplines: Physics, Mathematics, Law, Legal Metrology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Information Communication Technology, Instrumentation, Engineering (Mechanical/Electrical/Electronics),
• Micro-processors or equivalent qualification from a university recognized in Kenya;
• a Masters Degree in any of the following disciplines: Instrumentation, Computer Science, Information Communication Technology, Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Law, Legal Metrology, Engineering Mechanical/Electrical/ Electronics),
• Micro-processors, Business Administration or equivalent qualification from a university recognized in Kenya;
• an Advanced Certificate offered by the Institute of Trade Standards Administration (Kenya); a Certificate of Membership of the Institute of Trade Standards Administration (Kenya);
• demonstrated a high degree of professional competence and capability required for effective planning, organization and administration of weights and measures function and;
• thorough understanding of national goals, policies and development objectives and the ability to translate them into Weights and Measures
Duties and Responsibilities
• An officer at this level will be the head of the Department and will be responsible to the Principal Secretary for the overall management and administration of the Weights and Measures services. Duties and responsibilities include:-
• being the chief advisor on issues relating to the Weights and Measures Act (Cap 513) and the Trade Description Act (Cap 505) and the subsidiary legislations made under them and interpretation, application, implications and reviewing of these laws;
• spearheading the formulation, implementation and reviewing of policies and programmes relating to consumer protection and weighing and measuring equipment used in connection with trade, human and animal health, safety and the protection of the environment;
• ensuring acquisition, custody and maintenance of Kenya Primary Standards and Kenya Primary Reference Standards;
• approving of new patterns of weighing and measuring equipment; and
• reviewing of existing legislation and procedures in liaison with national, regional and international bodies/institutions and other stakeholders on matter relating to legal metrology.
• Basic Salary Scale: Ksh.87,360 – Ksh.121,430 p.m. (CSG 7)
• House Allowance: Ksh.16,800 – Ksh.45,000 p.m. (Depending on Station)
• Commuter Allowance: Ksh.12,000 p.m.
• Leave Allowance: As provided in the Civil service
• Annual Leave: 30 working days per financial year
• Medical Cover: As provided by the Government
• Terms of Service: Permanent and Pensionable
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Job application procedure
Method of Application
• Candidates should provide all the details requested for in the advertisement. It is an offence to include incorrect information in the application. Details of academic and professional certificates not obtained by closure of the advert should not be included.
• Only shortlisted and successful candidates will be contacted.
• Canvassing in any form will lead to automatic disqualification.
• The Public Service Commission is committed to implementing the provisions of the Constitution - Chapter 232 (1) on fair competition and merit, representation of Kenyans diverse communities and affording equal employment opportunities to men and women, members of all ethnic groups and persons with disabilities.
• Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce originals of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates and transcripts during interviews.
• It is a criminal offence to present fake certificates/documents.
• Serving officers shall be required to produce the original letter of appointment to their current substantive post during the interview.
• Applications should reach the Commission on or before 13th June, 2022 latest 5.00 pm (East African Time).
Interested and qualified? Go to Ministry of Industrialization,Trade and Enterprise Development on www.psckjobs.go.ke to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.