Director of Finance, Administration and HR
Jobs at:Population Council
Deadline of this Job:
05 June 2022
Date Posted: Monday, May 16, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Director of Finance & Administration is a member of the Senior Management Team and plays a critical role in strategic decision making and operations as PC Kenya continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. This position works closely with the Executive Director and Board Chair to support the fiduciary and organizational compliance responsibilities of the Board of Directors.
• Finance Administration and Leadership
• Ensure financial integrity, accountability and maintain internal controls by establishing and maintaining appropriate financial systems, and procedures.
• Provide strategic leadership to Finance and administration department and work closely with the Executive Director to define the organization’s financial and administrative priorities, resource mobilization, and strategic oversight.
• Regularly update, document, and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices to improve the finance department’s efficiency and financial controls.
• Ensure accurate and timely preparation of the office's monthly expenditure while ensuring review with and approval by the Executive Director.
• Oversee accurate and timely payment and recording of financial, accounting, treasury, and local tax transactions, as well as reporting and allocation of project, costs design, monitor, and implement systems of internal control that safeguard client’s assets and lead the process of implementing sound accounting procedures.
• Establish and maintain professional banking relations; plan and monitor cash needs ensuring cash flow requirements of the various projects are met for smooth implementation of project activities
• Generate timely monthly, quarterly, yearly, and project-specific financial reports in compliance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
• Work with the Administrative Officer II to develop cost-effective and efficient process for procurement of goods and services in accordance with donor and client procurement procedures, as well as security of capital assets and valuable equipment.
• Monitor bank account balances and bank reconciliations, ensuring sufficient balances for smooth office operations.
• Prepare annual program plan budget in collaboration with the Executive Director, Project Principal Investigators, as well as interim budget updates.
• Oversee the generation of regular financial updates for PC Kenya Senior Management Team (SMT) and the Board of Directors, and present critical financial matters to the Finance Committee
• Prepare, analyze, and communicate monthly and annual financial statements.
• Coordinate and lead the annual audit process by liaising with external auditors, and the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors.
• Grants Management
• Coordinate the grant-making process from proposal development to the signing of the grant agreement.
• Ensure compliance with donor regulations for PC Kenya projects by advising and monitoring program staff to ensure compliance.
• Manage various types of agreements (cooperative agreements, grants, sub-grants, sub-contracts, services agreements, rental agreements, memoranda of understanding) and solicit legal advice when needed to ensure compliance with applicable government rules and regulations.
• Coordinate staff effort allocations across the office grant portfolio.
• Oversee the compilation of proposal budgets in collaboration with PC Kenya office program staff, PC InSenior Program finance manager for International Programs, and other colleagues.
• Manage the planning and implementation of program activities, including management and strategic oversight of budgets, grants, operational plans, reporting, and procedural and financial compliance.
• Review PC Kenya donor financial reports in collaboration with the Executive Director.
• Put in place adequate sub-award development processes to ensure monitoring, and management systems are in place for effective and timely issuance, reporting, and oversight of all sub-awards.
• Prepare regular internal financial updates for principal investigators and other program staff.
• Manage the grant receivable aspects and ensure timely invoice and receipt of grant payments.
• Office Administration and Operations
• Develop and monitor compliance with administrative and operations policies in collaboration with the Executive Director.
• In collaboration with HR Officer, oversee the preparation of monthly payroll, including computation of income tax and pension contributions and other fringe benefits.
• Ensure continuous, smooth functioning of PC Kenya facility, infrastructure, and equipment.
• In collaboration with the Administrative Officer II, maintain effective liaison with office proprietor and utility providers, keeping related contracts and legal agreements properly documented and up to date.
• Supervise and mentor F&A staff on maintenance of sound financial and accounting systems and general office administration.
• Maintain effective liaison with local counsel to provide expert guidance and advice on tax, labor, and related legal issues.
• Represent the PC Kenya in PC Inc.’s global initiatives pertaining to finance and general administration and externally to financial partners, including donors, auditors, public officials, banks, etc.
• Ensure regular review, update, and dissemination of finance and administration policies.
• Evaluate and maintain adequate insurance coverage to meet the changing needs of the organization and ensure the policies are timely renewed or replaced, claims are filed and resolved, and manage the relationship with the insurance carriers and agents.
• Risk Management and Compliance
• Provide guidance to the Executive Director, the SMT, and the Board of Directors on strategic business directions by conducting financial planning and analysis, developing scenarios to inform decision making, and advising on key directions and options for development.
• Assess and monitor compliance with PC Kenya and donor operational policies and procedures.
• Ensure that timely statutory audits are conducted and that the audited accounts are submitted to the NGO board.
• Review performance of operations functions to identify strengths and weaknesses; support the project management team and implementing partners to replicate the strengths and address the weaknesses.
• Work with the Executive Director to ensure that regular and comprehensive risk and cost-efficiency analyses are conducted, and the risk matrix is updated accordingly.
• Monitor and review operational budgets to support financial stability, ongoing program viability, efficient cost structures, and appropriate spending.
• Talent Management
• Responsible for the overall administration, coordination, and evaluation of the organization’s talent management functions including:
• Develop and implement strategies and enforce department accountabilities around recruitment and staffing, employment processing, compensation, health benefits, training and development, records management, employee relations, retention, and labor relations.
• Support management and employees by providing talent management advice, and counseling, to aid HR-related decisions.
• Maintain knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensure compliance with labor/employment laws pertaining to all personnel matters.
• Communicate changes in personnel policies and other personnel procedures.
• Assist management in the annual review, preparation, and administration of PC Kenya salary scales, job descriptions, and employee evaluation process.
• Conduct exit interviews to determine reasons behind separation and in conjunction with the Senior Management Team, develop strategies for retention.
• Consult with legal counsel as directed on personnel matters.
• Support performance management and professional development of direct reports, including ongoing feedback, coaching, and career support.
• Supervise the recruitment, hiring, and management of staff and consultants.
• Information Technology Management
• Responsible for the overall administration, planning, coordination, and execution of all IT functions including:
• Analyze organizational needs and recommend technical solutions.
• Direct operations in executing PC Kenya technology policies and strategic plan.
• In collaboration with the network coordinator, maintain and enforce procedures around technology and telecommunication.
• Serve as a liaison between PC Kenya, Global IT Director, and external IT consultants in the areas of systems design, modifications, and/or troubleshooting, modifications, or troubleshooting.
• Any other duty as assigned by the Executive Director
• Master’s degree in Finance or Accounting with a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related fielS/he must be an ICPA-K or ACCA member.
• Minimum 10 years of professional experience with an international organization, preferably an NGO with a focus on public health or related area and should demonstrate understanding of non-profit fund accounting practices.
• Knowledge of US Government donor agencies (e.g., USAID, CDC, and NIH). Experience with the United Kingdom’s development assistance, particularly Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office, and/or major charitable foundations is highly preferred.
• Demonstrated experience building strategic and sustainable partnerships with both internal and external stakeholders.
• Demonstrated understanding of current and future donor landscape for research preferred.
• Experience working with large grants and management of different donor-funded projects
• Demonstrated ability to lead and manage a team of finance professionals, collaborate with multidisciplinary team of scientists and operations colleagues, and ability to work independently and within a complex, international organization. Prior supervisory experience with a team of at least five professionals will be an added advantage.
• Experience working with and implementing Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems.
• Strong organizational and team-building skills, attention to detail, and ability to work both independently and collaboratively and produce under a heavy workload with competing priorities.
• Must have demonstrated the ability to work in complex and multi-cultural environments and manage diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines.
• Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrated ability to work closely with colleagues in the development of various proposals and with various types of sources. They should have the ability to work in an intellectual setting.
• Expertise with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint); accounting software, payroll management systems & web-based communications platforms. Advanced Excel skills is highly preferred.
• Effective strategic planning and project management skills. S/he should have the ability to lead decision-making processes and experience presenting to the Board of Directors.
• Strong interpersonal skills with high integrity and honesty.
• Good analytical, numerical, and problem-solving skills.
• Proficiency in written and oral English.
• Willingness to travel both within Kenya and internationally.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.