Director of Finance and Administration
Jobs at:African Insect Science for Food and Health
Deadline of this Job:
Thursday, June 29 2023
Date Posted: Friday, June 16 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Overall purpose of the job
• The Director of Finance and administration (DFA) provides leadership to the Finance and Administration functions of the Centre, incorporating responsibility for a large mixed workforce of professional and nonprofessional staff operating under various Units and in various locations. These Units include Finance,
• Budget, People Resources, Procurement and Liaison, Facilities and Assets, ICT, Transport, Hospitality,
• Research Station Offices, and Security. The DFA sets the strategic direction for the Unit managers, ensures alignment of resources with the functions, prepares the Units for change and motivates and inspires the teams, leading to maximization of the value of the resources deployed and the achievement of the objectives of the Centre.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
• Ensure ongoing risk analysis and establish and coordinate the financial systems; oversee existence of a robust internal controls system and the maintenance of sound accounting practices, policies and procedures for the Centre that track operations and ensure protection of the Centre’s assets.
• Ensure financial stability and viability of the Centre through proper finance planning and management.
• Direct and monitor the Centre’s institutional and project budgetary procedures and the Centre’s medium-term financial projections. Contribute to the development of key and complex project initiatives and guide vote-holders in developing, amending and monitoring project and institutional budgets within established financial guidelines.
• Oversee and develop procedures to ensure the timely, accurate and complete preparation of all financial and operational reports for Management, Donors, and the Governing Council. Manage relationship with auditors and follow-up on matters arising from the audit of the entity and from project audits and ensure that they are dealt with in a timely and complete manner.
• Lead, manage, coach, mentor and support managers directly supervised in furtherance of the objective of delivering quality services to internal/external customers. Assure adequate placement, training, and evaluation of personnel within an atmosphere that encourages motivation, innovation, teamwork, and high performance. Set performance objectives, monitor progress, and manage and evaluate performance of personnel to ensure the Units provide effective and efficient client focused services and solutions.
• Keep up to date with new rules and regulations and new concepts, techniques and technologies.
• Review, analyze, recommend and implement system and technological enhancements which contribute positively to the efficient and effective operations of the Centre and position icipe in line with best standards in global practice in support of the Centre’s world class research work.
• Maintain thorough knowledge and understanding of the Centre’s business and its agreements and ensure that the Centre is supported by an efficient and effective operations platform, and that a strong culture of compliance is adopted in accordance with organizational/donor/investment policies and procedures. Handle relevant legal and institutional activities and ensure financial compliance as outlined in agreements.
• Coordinate, develop and maintain business plans for the Finance and Administration Units at the Centre. Assess the financial, material, people and informational requirements implicit in the plans and continuously adopt them to ways in which financial, material, people, and informational requirements can be achieved. Promote good stewardship, values and accountability through effective innovative systems, policies, procedures and capacity enhancement processes and methods that improve efficiency, productivity, preservation and security of people and assets.
• Support other leaders and managers to handle complexity and to control and solve problems through the provision of information and advice and development and administration of policies and procedures. Proactively support other leaders and managers, the Director General and the Governing
• Council in developing and implementing business plans, in strategic analysis and advice on the optimal use of the Centre’s resources.
• An advanced degree in Management (MBA/MA) and an internationally recognized professional accounting qualification.
• Twenty years of work experience, ten of which would have been gained in a financial management leadership position within international development organizations, research institutions, or multiple grants receiving organizations.
• Advanced analytical skills, including ability to solve problems efficiently and effectively and respond productively to change.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with ability to effectively present information and communicate visions and directives to personnel at all levels of the organization.
• Excellent leadership and management skills, including ability to motivate staff to meet goals and objectives.
• A trust and relationship builder with excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to interact effectively with stakeholders at all levels and individuals with diversified backgrounds and nationalities.
• High level of organizational and planning skills with attention to detail that enables one to work effectively under pressure, meet deadlines, maintain a high degree of judgment and deliver accurate and complete results.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 252
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.