Director of Finance
Jobs at:Heifer International
Deadline of this Job:
12 October 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
This position will work closely with the Headquarters’ finance team to ensure consistency throughout the organization, while assisting the Country Director to manage office resources in the most effective manner. The Director of Finance will also provide adequate accounting information and ensure that the information is maintained in accordance with the policies and procedures of the organization and in accordance with international accounting standards.
Essential Character Traits Financial Acumen; Manages complexity; Decision quality; Directs work; Plans and aligns; Optimizes work processes; Ensures accountability; Collaborates; Builds effective teams; Communicates effectively; Organizational savvy; Courage; Instills trust, Customer Orientation.
Responsibilities & Deliverables Financial Management (35%).
• Drive the development of in-country Finance Strategy through a collaborative process.
• Provide financial management and accounting leadership to the Country Office to ensure compliance with Heifer International policies, donor requirements and relevant government authorities.
• Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
• Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, Liaison with external auditors and assess any changes necessary in collaboration with HQ.
• Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with HQ.
• Administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior management at the Country Office abreast of the organization’s financial status.
• Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
• Accountable for establishing and maintaining proactive links with project "partners" to ensure compliance with established processes and procedures with the highest level of accountability.
• Make support visits, audit "partner" organizations, assess how project funds are utilized, and give advice on how to keep books of accounts.
Supervision and monitoring (30%).
• Supervise the financial staff and provide guidance and training for their work and encourage their professional growth.
• Oversee accounts payable, accounts receivable, donations and receipting.
• Monitor the cash position of the organization.
• Manage and oversee monthly bank reconciliations.
• Manage bank transactions including wire transfers, renewal of Certificates of deposits and keeping track of signing authorities.
• Implement global policies as per HQ timelines.
Report Preparation and Presentation (20%).
• Ensure proper and accurate accounting and reporting of all grant and donor funds in accordance with the grant/donor requirements, including all project expenses that are allowable and charged correctly.
• Ensures that all financial reports (budgets and narrative) at country and project offices are compiled and forwarded to the country director, HQ, and Program Directors, as needed.
• Preparation of new budgets during proposal development and budget monitoring report.
• Ensure books of accounts are closed on the 10th of the following month.
• Ensure Donor reports are submitted on due dates as per donor contracts.
• Ensure proper cashflow management at the country office.
• Support the Country Director and Advisory Committee on the external landscape with respect to changing government legislation.
• Ensure regional project offices receive updates and reforecast budgets.
• Ensure that donor contracts are adhered to in relation to allowability and allocability of expenses.
Financial Control and Risk Management (10%)
• Review, draft, implement and monitor internal controls and financial policies and procedures
• Develop, implement, adhere to and monitor compliance of financial controls to ensure that the organization is protected from risk.
• Ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met.
• Ensure that the organization makes all required government remittances and remits applicable taxes as needed.
May perform other duties as assigned (5%)
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Management Accounting, Business Administration, or related field.
• At least 15 - 20 years of related experience and 8 years in a senior management role.
• CPAK or ACCA finalist.
• A member of ICPAK.
• Master’s degree in Accounting, Management Accounting, Business Administration or related field.
• Experience in a donor-funded international development environment with compliance requirements of the U.S. government and institutional funders for international development, such USAID, EU, IFAD, DFID, mega-foundations and others.
• Project management experience, with project management certification a plus.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
• Ability to work under pressure, perform multiple tasks and manage competing priorities, comfortable in rapidly changing environment.
• Must be flexible and able to innovate and be agile to handle a variety of situations.
• Ability to effectively mentor and train individuals and teams using participatory methodologies. Strong facilitation skills preferred.
• Ability to work with delicate personnel situations and to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to maintain close relationships and work with virtual team members.
• Constant face-to-face, electronic and telephone communication with colleagues at different levels of the organization and the general public.
• Demonstrated ability on finance reporting.
• Willingness and ability to work outside of normal business hours.
• Ability and willingness to travel both domestically and internationally.
• Ability to work in a matrix environment.
• Ability to capacity build; Finance for Non-finance managers/teams
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 180
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.