Jobs at:The African Economic Research Consortium (AERC)
Deadline of this Job:
09 December 2022
Date Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Duties and Responsibilities
Direction of the Consortium’s overall operations and governance
• Supporting the Board of Directors, Executive Committee and the Programme Committee in the effective governance of AERC, and for this purpose works closely with the chairs of the Board and the Programme Committee.
• Providing leadership to the organization in pursuing its mission, developing five-year strategic plans, and in establishing strategic objectives for its programmes and services.
• Monitoring the progress of the Consortium with respect to relevant performance indicators and develops and oversees the implementation of evaluation plans, as agreed with the Board and the Programme Committee.
• Overall responsibility for the management of the Secretariat, ensuring that the Consortium meets all its legal requirements in connection with its operations.
• Ensuring that the approved activities in the annual Programme of Work and Budget are implemented.
• Developing long and medium-term funding strategies for AERC in consultation with the Board and assumes overall responsibility for raising funds to carry out the programmes and services of AERC, and for reporting back to Donors and to the Board on the disbursement of those funds on a timely basis.
Maintaining effective liaison with members of the AERC network.
• Overall responsibility for communication of AERC’s activities and results to its constituencies and to donors, policy makers and other groups as needed to achieve its strategic objectives and actively promotes networking and exchange of information as an integral part of AERC’s mandate.
• Developing strategic partnership with other organizations, including universities and national research and “think tank” institutions in Africa that support the mission and strategic objectives of the Consortium.
• Coordinating the preparation of the Programmes of Work for each financial year and presents it to the Board for its approval.
• Ensuring preparation of reports of AERC activities each year for review by the board and subsequent wide distribution.
• Overall responsibility for approving grants and award in accordance with approved limits and procedures.
• Ensuring that grants are administered in accordance with approved procedures.
• Initiating studies and consultancies as necessary, and ensures proper administration of all consultancies, whether initiated by the Board, the Programme Committee or the Secretariat.
• Recommending to the Board candidates for appointments to the Programme Committee.
• Attending all meetings and facilitates the business of the Programme Committee.
Financial management and administration
• Overseeing the preparation of the annual Programme of Work and Budget for presentation to the Board for approval.
• Ensuring the close monitoring of the Consortium’s revenue and expenditures takes place throughout the fiscal year and is responsible to the Board for any adjustments that are made to the approved Programme of Work and Budget.
• Principal authorizing officer for disbursement of AERC funds in accordance with Board approved procedures.
• Ensuring that the specified financial controls are adhered to and that “value for money” principles are embodied in the policies and procedures of the Consortium and are followed by staff.
• Ensuring that accurate, timely and well‐supported financial reports are produced and distributed in accordance with existing financial and administrative policies and procedures.
• Ensuring that the Consortium’s accounts are properly audited, as stipulated by the AERC By‐laws and financial procedures.
• Ensuring that the Consortium files appropriate tax returns annually or as required.
• Undertakes any other duties relevant to the mission of AERC and in support of the Board as directed by the Chair of the Board.
Education, Qualifications & Experience
• PhD in Economics and a track record in economics research and/or experience in managing economic research and/or teaching economics at the undergraduate level.
• In-depth knowledge of the main economic, social and political policy issues facing African countries.
• At least ten years relevant experience, which will include at least five years’ experience working in Sub‐Saharan Africa and five years as senior manager.
• Experience in working with international organizations.
• Experience in interacting with senior decision-makers in the public and private sectors.
• Key Skills and Competencies
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills
• Good interpersonal and negotiating skills
• Able to give AERC a high profile internationally
• Capability and willingness to raise funds
• Excellent ability to make effective presentations
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
• Ability and willingness to travel widely in Africa and internationally
• Excellent written and spoken English. Ability to work in French a definite asset
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
If you wish to be considered for this position, please complete the Application Form below on or before 9 December 2022. In addition, we encourage you to please attach a copy of the most recent English version of your CV.
All information will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Interested and qualified? Go to The African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) on www.sri-executive.com to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.