Finance Assistant (Africa)
Jobs at:Habitat for Humanity
Deadline of this Job:
29 April 2022
Date Posted: Friday, April 15, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Finance Assistant (Africa)
It’s an exciting time to be part of Habitat for Humanity International, HFHI, in Africa! Habitat has recently centered its operations for Africa in Nairobi, Kenya as part of its Global Impact 2025 initiative. This is a dramatic change initiative aimed at tripling our scale, impact and funding by 2025. As part of our rapidly growing regional team, you will be a critical member in helping Habitat realize that vision.
The HFH Africa Area Office manages Habitat’s operations across the region, including Lesotho, South Africa, Tanzania and Cote d’Ivoire, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Zambia, and Malawi. Nairobi provides access to some of the largest institutions and organizations shaping eastern Africa today. The Africa team plays a pivotal role in building Habitat’s brand in the market and helping elevate housing as a critical part of the solution to the complex challenges facing this region.
We are looking for candidates who are driven, resourceful and want desperately to help as many families as possible build strength and stability through housing. We want people who are uncompromisingly committed to Habitat for Humanity’s vision and core values of courage (to do what’s right), accountability (to take personal responsibility for the mission and our actions) and humility (to remember that we are part of something bigger than ourselves). Together, we will achieve a world where everyone has a decent place to live. www.habitat.org
About the Role:
Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is currently seeking an ambitious Finance Assistant to provide support to our Africa (AFR) team based in Nairobi, Kenya by supporting the grants and managing daily accounting tasks. This individual will be a part of a professional team working to provide high level stewardship for the organization’s finances. The ideal candidate will be well-versed in accounting principles, be attentive to detail and must be comfortable working with numbers. The Finance Assistant will contribute to a smooth processing of transactions, participate in the budget management of grants and overall be efficient and responsive to the needs of various stakeholders. This individual will ensure the accounting function runs efficiently to ensure grants and personnel are well supported to accomplish their mandates.
This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya with up to 10% travel.
• Prepare financial transactions related to office and project expenditures.
• Ensure proper coding and approvals for all transactions.
• Support budget management of grants.
• Support in the reporting of grants.
• Verify supporting documentation, ensure reconciliation with approved contracts.
• Maintain an effective filing system for financial transactions.
• Review and process travel & expense reports, follow up on employee advances.
• Manage the tax compliance by declaring and remitting all taxes due.
• Assist with preparation and coordination of the audit process.
• Assist with implementing and maintaining internal financial controls and procedures.
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or a related field.
• Certified Public Accountant.
• 1+ years of work experience in finance or accounting.
• Good written and oral communication skills.
• Competent in Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Good analytical and organizational skills, attention to detail and determination to meet deadlines.
• Ability to work independently and also work in a team environment.
• Demonstrated capacity and willingness to learn.
• Professional and positive attitude.
• Pro-active and results oriented.
• Friendly and customer service oriented.
Active support of HFHI Values & Commitments:
Humility – We are part of something bigger than ourselves.
Courage – We do what’s right, even when it is difficult or unpopular.
Accountability – We take personal responsibility for Habitat’s mission.
Safeguarding: HFHI requires that all employees take seriously their ethical responsibilities to safeguarding our intended beneficiaries, their communities, and all those with whom we work. Managers at all levels have responsibilities to support and develop systems that create and maintain an environment that prevents harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse, safeguards the rights of beneficiaries and community members (especially children), and promotes the implementation of Habitat for Humanity’s code of conduct.
• Work experience with NGOs would be an advantage.
• Technical accounting skills and understanding of accounting software
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 12
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.