Finance Assistant (Internal to UNOPS personnel)
Jobs at:United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
Deadline of this Job:
07 July 2022
Date Posted: Friday, June 24, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Under the guidance and supervision of the Finance Manager, the Finance Assistant in the East and Southern Africa Regional Hub provides a variety of specialised finance, accounting, and clerical functions related to project accounting and financial reporting. The Finance Assistant ensures high quality, accuracy and consistency of work and promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS financial rules and regulations. The Finance Assistant works in close collaboration with the UNOPS operations, program and projects’ staff for resolving finance-related issues and information exchange.
• Implementation of operational strategies
• Treasury functions
• Accounting, administrative and clerical support
• Financial Reporting
• Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
• Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Full compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up; implementation of the effective internal control framework.
• Input to the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
• Provides support to Treasury, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Review of payment requests for completeness prior to processing to ensure that documentation is complete and all information concerning the payment has been supplied; proper accounting codes used; certification of services rendered/goods delivered is written on the payment document and duly signed by authorized officials; payment to sub-contractors are in compliance with terms and conditions of agreement.
• Review and confirmation of appropriateness of operational transactions processed through the interpretation and determination of applicable policies, regulations, rules
• Review and confirmation of validity of charges by verifying authorized amounts and ensuring availability of budget and funds.
• Frequent contact with the local bank to obtain day-to-day information on rates of exchange, interest rates, changes in procedures and bank regulations, etc.
• Running the pay-cycle and preparation of bank transfer documents.
• Provides accounting, administrative and clerical support to the Finance Unit, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Review of vouchers and review of supporting documents to ensure completeness, accuracy and correctness of accounts codes charges; entry of transactions in the computerized accounting and finance system.
• Monitoring of financial recorded expenditures and related contributions to ensure timely and accurate accounting information.
• Analysis of reports, investigation and adjustment as required.
• Communication with colleagues/clients on areas requiring verification, corrections, additional information, etc. to improve quality of output and/or account submission and increase knowledge base in the process.
• Monitoring of cash requirements and expenditures.
• Provision of finance system support (UNOPS ERP Financial System, PeopleSoft) to field offices and regional office staff for Project Accounting and Financial Reporting
• Ensure the maintenance of a good filing and archiving system for the purpose of achieving quick reference and up-to-date financial records.
• Ensures accurate financial reporting, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Implementation of reporting systems and reports to meet Funding source requirements.
• Reconciliation of expenditures recorded in oneUNOPS.
• Assistance to Project Managers with oneUNOPS reporting and analysis.
• Provision of ad-hoc financial reports as needed including for Year-End closure
• Prepare Monthly management reports to be shared with Senior Management Team
• Monitoring of the UN common costs and pool accounts to ensure timely settlement of vendor t invoices.
• Assist the finance officer in the management of the VAT and Operational Advance balance accounts
• Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Participation in the training for the operations/ projects staff on Finance.
• Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
• Monitoring and Progress Controls
• The key results have an impact on the overall execution of the UNOPS financial services. Accurate data entry and presentation of financial information and a client-oriented approach enhances UNOPS’ capability to effectively and efficiently manage financial resources.
• Completion of Secondary School is required.
• Diploma Certificate in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or or other relevant disciplines with two (2) years of relevant experience may be accepted.
• University Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or other relevant disciplines will be an asset.
• A minimum of four (4) years of relevant accounting and financial management experience at national level is required.
• Experience /knowledge of web-based applications and Google Suite products, especially google forms, sheets, docs and slides is an asset.
• A minimum of one (1) year UNOPS work experience in the relevant field is required.
• Fluency in English is required.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
To apply follow this link https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/Account/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fpages%2fViewVacancy%2fApplyVacancy.aspx%3fid%3d24172&id=24172
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.