Finance Assistant - Wajir
Jobs at:Mercy Corps
Deadline of this Job:
23 June 2022
Date Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Finance Assistant - Wajir
Program / Department Summary
The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Mercy corps Kenya doing among others the following functions; accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
General Position Summary
Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Grants and Finance Coordinator in Nairobi, the Finance Assistant will assist in the processing and recording of payment transactions in timely and accurate manner to support the program team activities.
Essential Job Responsibilities
• Prepare cash payment vouchers and ensure that all cash transactions are fully and properly documented.
• Supports field connection transaction entry with the assigned batch
• Responsible for gathering transaction documents required for donor reporting
• Responsible for compiling monthly intercompany vouchers and assist with preparations of documents for month end package
• Maintain the uncleared cash advance file and prepare past due advance report for the Senior Finance and Grants officer
• Assist with audit related requirements (timely documents retrieval, filing after audit completion, proving additional assistance as necessary)
• Assist with scanning, copying, printing and uploading of financial documents on relevant folders
• Assist Senior Finance and Grants officer with field cash reimbursements
• Perform daily, weekly and monthly cash counts together with Senior Finance Officer
• Ensure all finance documents are properly labelled, filed and stored in a clear and easily accessible manner following Field Finance Manual
• Submission of all original vatable invoices to Nairobi for VAT claim on timely basis for VAT claim
• Ensure quality control of financial documents for completeness and proper referencing before archiving
• Responsible for cash and bank vouchers filing, statutory audit reports and other financial documents filing and maintenance of filing system (Hard copy and electronic) according to MC Procedures; manage finance archives and ensure monthly update of the Finance archiving index
• Any other duty as may be assigned
• Assist with follow up on subaward compliance issues and audits and document resolutions.
• Ensure proper organization of subaward files
• Assist in sub award site audits and prepare site visit reports
Knowledge and Experience
• A Diploma or degree in accounting or a relevant business field.
• Minimum CPA II or other relevant accounting qualification.
• At least one year experience in accounting, bookkeeping or cashiering, including experience with double-entry accounting preferably in an international NGO.
• Familiarity with major international donor rules and non-profit accounting.
• Familiarity with computerized, double-entry accounting software.
• Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
• Accuracy in the processing of cash transactions, mathematical aptitude and attention to detail.
• Excellent oral and written English skills.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 12
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.