Deadline of this Job:
01 March 2023
Date Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Position within the Organization
The Finance Assistant is a member of the finance section of the Global Administration Support Unit which encompasses Finance, Administration, Internal Audit and HR. The Global Operations Unit is led from the Headquarters Office in Geneva, although team members are based in different locations around the world.
The Finance Assistant works closely with other Finance Officers in Nairobi, administration staff, programme staff and partners staff to create a more efficient and effective Finance function for an agile, responsive and high performance Interpeace.
This position requires one to consult with and/or coordinate activities with internal and external actors. There is an element of persuasion, influence and provision of professional advice and direction, but it is not a regular activity.
Duties and responsibilities
Scope and Impact
• Specific responsibilities and objectives are assigned with some latitude for setting of priorities and technical approaches, using established practices and procedures. Unusual challenges may be discussed with supervisor or others for clarification of the policy.
• Informs and interprets policy and practices within the units.
• Work conducted by the Finance Assistant impacts specific job family, assigned grants and partners.
Planning and implementation
• Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategie
• Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work
• Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when pla
• Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necess
• Uses time efficien
• Reviewing of all source documentation for Nairobi Office income and expenditure to ensure compliance with Interpeace financial rules and procedure
• Draw up payment vouchers and receipts for all expenditures and incomes and ensure proper authorization of payment vouche
• Enter all transactions into the ECA QB and process bank transactions.
• Process travel advances and follow up to ensure their subsequent liquidation.
• Review all local expenses for billing purposes and Manage Accounts Payable to ensure all local payments comply with policy requirements.
• Ensure Maximum compliance with filling of Statutory Taxes (PAYE, NSSF, NHIF, NITA) and other Relevant Taxes.
• Reconcile all local bank accounts and constantly review banking arrangements to ensure timely transfer of funds and minimize exchange loses and bank charge
• Reconcile all Balance Sheet accounts and follow up to clear non-current items.
• Prepare Draft Financial Statements for and supporting schedules as requested by the auditors and act as the focal point for the auditors during Statutory and Donor/Programme audits.
• Monitor the implementation and clearance of internal and external audit issues and recommendations.
• Conducting Petty Cash Spot checks on a regular basis.
• Upload QuickBooks back-ups and financial reports on SharePoint monthly.
• Participate in Proposal development team meetings and contribute by providing technical guidance/suggestions to proposal development, activity planning, interpretation of donor requirements.
• Assist Headquarters in the review of existing policies and procedures and in the development of new procedures, including internal contro
• Degree in Business Administration, finance, or related field from a recognized University
• Accounting certification (partial or full CPA or equivalent)
• Minimum of 2 years of relevant and progressively responsible experience in the professional field of finance and accounting in not-for-profit setting.
• Experience of computerized accounting software, preferably QuickBooks and ERPs, preferably SunSytems.
• High level of IT proficiency in use of all MS Office applications.
• Ability to work successfully as part of a diverse and multicultural team.
• Experience of conducting capacity-building for partners and staff on financial systems and good financial practices. Experience working in field locations.
• Have demonstrated high understanding of finance and accounting matters preferably within the not-for-profit sector.
• Strong accounting knowledge and operating capacity. Experience in financial bookkeeping within the local context
• Strong understanding of budget management; financial internal controls; source documentation verification; preparation of payment vouchers; and procurement processes
• Ability to perform detailed work, frequently of a confidential nature and/or to handle a large volume of work systematically, effectively, and accurately.
• Ability to foresee risks and allow for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Ability to take ownership of all responsibilities and honor commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost, and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment successfully and to demonstrate gender-responsive and non-discriminatory behavior and attitudes.
• Strong written and oral communication skills in English.
• Ability to travel within and outside the country on short notice.
• Experience with non-profit or international organizations.
• Strong commitment to supporting local peace building initiatives and to the values and working principles of Interpeace.
• Collaboration and Weaving
• Driver for Results
• Adaptability and Continuous learning
• Respect for Diversity
• Identifies with and is committed to Interpeace’s core values and working principles.
• Commitment to inclusiveness
• An innovative, critical thinker with extensive problem-solving skills
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested and qualified? Go to Interpeace on www.naturalhr.net to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.