Finance Coordinator, Financial Control and Compliance
Jobs at:Save the Children
Deadline of this Job:
31 August 2022
Date Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Save the Children has been operational in Kenya since the 1950s, providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, health, HIV/AIDS, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH. In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined the programmes of SC UK, SC Canada and SC Finland to create a single operation in Kenya. In Feb 2014, we completed a second transition, which saw us join forces with the British INGO, Merlin, and merge their health and nutrition programmes with our own. Save the Children now has an operational presence in Bungoma, Dadaab Refugee Camp, Garissa, Mandera, Turkana and Wajir and a footprint in Kakamega, Kisumu, Migori and Kitui. In 2016, Save the Children established a new project office in Madagascar whose operations are managed by the Kenya CO. In total, we employ around 250 staff in both countries and had an operating annual budget in 2017 of approximately US$22million.
The jobholder has overall responsibility of the financial control and compliance function. They will also be responsible for ensuring best in class financial controls and management at field office level - including capacity building; implementing efficient & effective processes; improving and ensuring compliance with internal control systems.
Key Areas of Accountability:
Financial systems and procedures
• Assist the Head Of Finance in ensuring smooth implementation and updating of robust and adequate financial systems and procedures in line with SCIs finance Policy and good accounting practices
• Develop and update the finance diary that covers all the required activities on a monthly basis and lead staff to ensure that the diary is strictly adhered to.
• Ensure that all financial transactions are fully supported and that they are all captured in AGRESSO on a daily basis; make sure that regular backups are taken and stored off site.
• Prepare monthly and quarterly financial diaries for both AGRESSO and sub-office finance systems and ensure its strict adherence to the HQ deadlines
• Maintain and ensure the integrity of the SCI' computerized accounting systems and liaising with Regional Finance Team for any required support
• Financial records and transactions
• Carry out sensibility and control checking before and after posting sub-office transactions into AGRESSO.
• Follow up HQ transactions from London and make sure that all are processed in the time and accurately.
• Financial reports
• Responsible for timely, accurate and efficient financial reporting (both electronic and manual field returns) to head office
• Responsible for ensuring that reconciliation of balance sheet/control accounts are carried out on monthly basis and ensuring that year-end accounting procedure are met consistently and that any discrepancies are reported to the Head of Finance.
Financial and system controls
• Ensure safe security of cash in the office and coordinate weekly and monthly cash counts, including spot counts
• Ensure that systems are put in place to assure document security for a complete audit trail from the AGRESSO records to supporting documentation and vice versa.
• Ensure the effective and efficient use of all Save the Children resources in order to keep costs low and ensure the security of staff.
• Ensure payroll is completed on time and accurately, with robust controls in place.
• Lead on annual statutory audits and the financial component of donor audits. Key focus on proactive financial controls, management and supporting documentation in order to ensure 0 disallowances.
• Keep track of statutory and donor specific audit requirements and coordinate closely with awards to initiate required audits on time.
• Lead in managing audit process with External Auditors ensuring smooth audit and provide all documents required by Auditors as and when needed
• Ensure proper soft and hard archiving system is in place in finance as per SCI policies and procedures
• Plan and conduct internal audits for all Sub recipients and field offices with the coordination of the Internal Auditor
• Participate in Audit Entry and Exit meetings and ensure recommendations have implemented before the next audit.
Shared finance services
• Ensure that the shared finance services finance section is working
• Follow up any delays of the payments in the section
• Coordinate with the RO finance and CO finance to ensure that payments are done smoothly.
• Have the review of the payments flow and ensure that is updated regularly
Staff Leadership, Mentorship, and Development
• Ensure appropriate staffing and efficient & effective organisation design within the Financial Accounting Function.
• Ensure that all staff understands and are empowered to perform their role.
• Manage team; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly.
• Recruitment, training, and professional development of team as part of the wider staff development strategy.
• Performance Management :
• Effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives; ongoing feedback; periodic reviews; and fair and unbiased evaluations;
• Coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities;
• Recognition and rewards for outstanding performance;
• Documentation of performance that is less than satisfactory, with appropriate performance improvements/ work plans
Behaviors (Values in Practice)
• Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
• Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
• Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
• Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
• Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
• Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
• Values diversity sees it as a source of competitive strength.
• Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
• Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
• Willing to take disciplined risks.
• Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Experience and Skills
• BA Degree in Finance and Accounting, Business Administration, or other relevant discipline.
• Chartered Accountant (CPA, ACMA, ACA, ACCA) strongly recommended.
• Minimum of 5 years management experience in a corporate, audit firm or an NGO environment, of which 3 at a middle management level within a finance department.
• Strategic mindset with the ability to lead, inspire and achieve results in a challenging context.
• Strong team player.
• Excellent inter-personal skills and able to communicate with diverse set of stakeholders
• Strong analytical, decision making and strategic planning skills with the ability articulate complex information in an easy to understand manner.
• Solutions focused with ability to identify weaknesses and drive continuous improvement.
• Ability to prioritise, plan ahead, and manage a complex and diverse workload with tight deadlines.
• Ability to coach, mentor, delegate appropriately and provide developmental guidance to supervised staff.
• Self-starter who is willing to go the extra mile to get the job done.
• Excellent understanding of business and financial planning including strategic modelling.
• Excellent understanding of financial systems, controls and procedures.
• Excellent understanding of computerised accounts packages, Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
• A full appreciation of the value of co-operation, both internationally and within a team environment.
• Understanding of Save the Children's vision, mission, and a commitment to its objectives and values.
• Written and verbal fluency in English.
• 4 years within the NGO / charities sector or Audit firm
• Experience of working in an emergency context.
• Understanding of major donor compliance regulations (USAID, Dfid, ECHO, OFTA, etc
• We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
• We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday.
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 48
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified talent.
Female Candidates are encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=YS50YW1iYS43NzcyNy4xMjE4NUBzYXZldGhlY2hpbGRyZW5hby5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.