Jobs at:Danish Refugee Council
Deadline of this Job:
05 November 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Overall purpose of the role:
The Finance Coordinator is a key member of the Programme Management Unit and will contribute to ensure overall planning, implementing, and managing of the project, and assure progress towards achieving project goals and objectives. Based in Nairobi, with 10% travel to field locations in Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia, the Finance Coordinator supports in day to day routine financial duties, review of budget/budget revisions and is the lead finance focal point for the Programme Management Unit, Project Steering Committee, Technical Working Group and finance and programme staff from all Consortium agencies. The Finance Coordinator also acts as the “Technical Focal Point” to all field operations from the three consortium members across all three locations.
S/he will oversee timely project close-out process to minimize risk of disallowed costs.
The Finance Coordinator refers to and works in close collaboration with the finance and senior project staff of each of the implementing agencies. Specific responsibilities include:
• Overseeing financial progress against agreed targets of the project across all implementing agencies and areas
• Ensuring the timely and quality completion of all financial deliverables and reports in accordance with EU guidelines
• Oversight of financial and administrative management of the programme, ensuring compliance with DRC and EU rules and regulations
• Organizing and leading monthly BFU/TDL reviews meeting & monitor actual spending and advise programme teams on financial issues (overspends, underspends, compliance issues, clearing of outstanding advances etc.)
• Providing additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance.
• Preparing budget re-alignments where needed in collaboration with Consortium member finance teams
• Developing a strong working relationship with the finance focal point of each agency and each field team.
• Minimizing financial risks by ensuring that consortium members’ financial policies and procedures are strictly adhered to through predefined effective internal control systems.
• Checking on the completeness, accuracy and validity of information regarding payment documents before payments are done.
• Ensuring the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.,
• Coordination with consortium members and/or with NGO Liaison bodies to obtain relevant local tax laws/requirements and ensure all partners comply. This includes obtaining tax exemptions (i.e. Value Added Tax [VAT]) letters on yearly basis where needed.
• Coordination with the procurement and logistics departments of Consortium members to ensure the relevant taxes (if applicable) are indicated in all supplier documentation and paid to the relevant departments in a timely manner
• Providing financial management support for close-out process and external audit process.
Experience and technical competencies:
• At least five year’s work experience in field of finance/accounting/book keeping in an NGO or the commercial sector.
• Experience managing complex activities involving coordination with multiple project partners
• Proven experience in NGO programme budget management, including reporting and compliance. Previous experience managing an EU grant would be a plus.
• Advanced experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas).
• Ability to train and build the capacity of other finance and programme staff
• Experience living and/or working in complex emergency locations preferred.
• Communication skills: excellent written and verbal skills in English
• Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to manage a large workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines.
• Work style: Highly organized team player, pro-active and with demonstrated strong personal initiative and decision-making ability. Proven solid analytical and problem-solving skills
• University degree in Financial Management, Accounting, or any other relevant field
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.