Jobs at:international rescue committee
Deadline of this Job:
29 July 2022
Date Posted: Monday, July 18, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Financial Coordinator has overall responsibility for the accounting and financial management functions for the country program. The Finance Coordinator has responsibilities include oversight of Budget development, monitoring & Compliance, donors report, operating budget update and monitor the spending trend, accounting, and staff training &management functions.
Operating budget development and quarterly update
• Operating budget - Working on the formulation of annual operating budgets and budget reforecast. Review operating budgets submitted by all filed sites and updated the DDF on the status of the country office budget position on a regular basis. Provide a recommendation if there is a potential deficit/surplus
• Update the country office operating budget on quarterly bases and advise the outcome to the DDF
• Identify any shortfalls in shared costs budget coverage and ensure new budgets cover the appropriate percentage of shared costs and review of unrestricted funding versus approved allocation.
• Train the finance managers on developing realistic operational budget and demonstrates various techniques for them to monitor & manage various project budgets
• Assisting in the development and preparation of cost allocation processes for overarching costs that comply with donor regulations on allowable costs. Monitor the country office shared program cost budget spending and advise DDF if there is a deviation from the policy
• Working with program staff & Finance Managers to prepare proposal budgets to support new opportunities or realignments to ensure adequate coverage of direct and indirect costs
• Review donor financial reports submitted by finance manager as per the donor agreements & contracts and ensuring donor regulations are adhered to for all aspects of the operations
• Review and validate the budget financial dimension codes created by finance manager before uploading to Integra System. Ensure the assigned D-codes are in line with the donor reporting formats and meets the program team needs
• Do a regular analysis of the grant spending and advise the DDF if there is a potential over/under spending.
• Provide guidance, technical assistance, and support to the team member on grant management and budget forecasting
• Performed different financial analysis and share timely and accurate a report to DDF, monitor the country office financial matrix to don’t deviate from the norm.
• Develops and implements a training program for the country’s finance staff to ensure staff development and minimize IRC’s exposure when staff are absent or depart.
• Develop a capacity building plan for finance & non-finance staff for them to be capacitated for succession
• Maintains/update current job descriptions for all positions within the finance group that are under your supervision.
• Ensures comprehensive and constructive performance reviews are completed on a timely basis and facilitates discussion of performance and career options with all country finance staff.
• Manages the finance staff activities and schedules to meet the financial reporting requirements and deadlines specified by HQ and donors.
Accounting function, Controls & Audit management
• Ensures that all policies and procedures are in compliance with IRC and funding source policies, procedures, and requirements.
• Closely monitors all financial activities and keeps the DDF advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial performance.
• Review monthly grant actual spending against the spending/procurement plan and advise the budget holders if there is variance
• Follow up with HQ, UK or IRC-DE office for collection of long outstanding receivables.
• Develops field visit schedules and performs the completion of country internal control assessment, and initiates actions necessary to correct internal control weaknesses.
• Facilitates and co-ordinates external, internal, donor or government audits
• Represent finance office on bidding process which are higher than $20K
• Maintains current knowledge of local government requirements related to financial matters and ensures compliance with tax regulations and other legal requirements.
• Interface with outside audit firms, banks, business insurance agents, and other companies, etc. on International Rescue Committee’s-Kenya behalf.
• Review and approve payroll monthly, and Review balance sheet and income statements for accuracy
• Ensure the country office always has enough liquidity position, draw cash from IRC HQ & EU office as per the projection
• Regularly review the system security setup and update the changes when a request come from users.
• Review the finance workflow and ensure the right staff has the correct authority level on the system
• Lead the monthly & yearly financial closing process through integra system, update the DDF if there is a challenge or issue that will hinder the closing process
• Ensure the team settled vendor invoice timely and regularly monitor the pending invoice account
• Run various financial management report from the system and share to the users timely including inventory report, income statement, balance sheet and other project expenditure reports
Key Result Areas
Strengthen and maintain the integrity of finance systems, ensuring smooth financial operations for supporting program work, updating, and generating timely financial information to the management, donors, partners and other organizational levels.
• A bachelor’s degree in accounting, Business Administration, Commerce or Finance with a recognized professional certificate in accounting such as CPA, or FCCA.
• A master’s degree with a Finance concentration will be an added advantage
• Not less than 5 years at a senior level within the Finance Department of an international organization. Experience in the humanitarian sector will be an added advantage
• Current or previous experience within IRC in a similar role will also be an added advantage
• Extensive experience in working with computerized accounting systems, standard spreadsheet and database programs.
Required Experience & Competencies:
• Good written and verbal skills in the English language.
• Must be comfortable in being a proactive member of the top-management team. Must seek to identify and communicate potential problems and propose solutions to the level of management appropriate to effect solutions.
• Must be able to function effectively in a loosely structured, but complex work environment and to set appropriate priorities and deal effectively with numerous simultaneous requirements
• Ability to carry out responsibilities independently with minimal technical support from within the program organization.
• Must be a patient and good communicator who can function in an organizational environment involving a diversity of cultures, languages, and personal interests and agendas.
• Good at role of facilitator and team player in solving problems.
• Committed to staff training and development
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.