Finance Manager, Kenya
Deadline of this Job:
06 January 2023
Date Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Career with BRAC International
• BRAC is an award-winning international non-governmental development organisation, with the vision of a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination, where everyone has the opportunity to realise their potential. BRAC is a leader in developing and implementing cost-effective, evidence-based programmes to assist poor and disadvantaged communities in low-income countries, including in conflict-prone and post-disaster settings. It is an organisation of and for the people of the Global South, pioneering new development and social enterprise approaches to equip communities to achieve prosperity. As well as being the world's biggest NGO by number of staff and people directly reached, BRAC has regularly been ranked the number one NGO in the world by the Geneva-based NGO Advisor, an independent organisation committed to highlighting innovation, impact and governance in the non-profit sector. BRAC retained the top spot in 2020 among the top 500 NGOs for the fifth consecutive year.
• BRAC was founded in Bangladesh in 1972 by Sir Fazle Hasan Abed. It started its first programme outside of Bangladesh in Afghanistan in 2002, and has since reached millions of people in 11 countries in Asia and Africa. BRAC has a holistic approach to development that uses a wide array of programmes and social enterprises, including in microfinance, education, health, agriculture, gender and human rights. BRAC believes that every person has inherent potential, and when an enabling environment is created and that potential is unleashed, even the poorest can become agents of positive change in their own lives, for their families and their communities.
• BRAC International (BI) is seeking application from competent, dynamic and self-motivated individuals to fill the following position:
Finance Manager, Kenya
• The Finance Manager (FM) is responsible for efficient and smooth running of finance functions of BRAC Africa Regional Hub in Nairobi, Kenya. The FM manages all aspects of budgeting, financial systems, financial reporting, regulatory compliance and grants. Also serves as chief adviser for the Africa Regional Hub on all matters of finance, budgeting, audit, contractual management, compliance
Business Planning & Budgeting
• Organize, develop and present complete annual budget for Africa Regional Hub.
• Leadership in development of budgets for all proposals or concept papers for new project.
• Update the annual budget to include any new funding grants and projects as appropriate.
Financial Transactions and reporting
• Manage the day-to-day finance transactions like cash disbursements, receipts, banking, payments and other finance-related tasks. Review all payments for completeness and accuracy before RD’s approval.
• Prepare Donor reports, maintaining Donor liaison and flagging important deadlines.
• Perform monthly reconciliation of all bank accounts, other assets and liabilities balance.
• Manage general ledger and produce Trial Balance for the preparation monthly accounts and ensure timely submission of monthly regional office accounts to BI Dhaka Office.
• Keep tracking of the budget line items for the hub (includes GRP and other functional hub costs) and follow up whether all expenses are properly recorded according to the budget line.
• Preparation of scheduled budget variance reports and submit on time
• Assist in the updating of financial procedures and forms including modifying receipts, payments, disbursements and bookkeeping, filling procedures
• Act as a finance business partner to the regional team and participate in any ad-hoc project as advised by the Regional Director, Africa and Director Finance, BRAC International.
• Ensure strong controls for cash flow management, inventory, fixed assets and other assets.
Compliance and regulation
• Ensure compliance with tax laws and other statutory obligation for the Hub including timely submission of employee and organizational taxes to the tax authority.
• Follow up with the internal and external auditors, provide necessary support to them and ensure all audit issues are addressed to maintain sound control environment.
• Ensure that the hub always has enough funds through timely submission of fund requests
• Ensure that all staff under line management have updated performance indictors
• Participate in hiring of staff/volunteers for finance and accounts department.
Participate in team building activities and help in matters related to health/life insurance for staff
• Ensure the safety of team members from any harm, abuse, neglect, harassment and exploitation to achieve the program’s goals on safeguarding implementation. Act as a key source of support, guidance and expertise on safeguarding for establishing a safe working environment.
• Practice, promote and endorse the issues of safeguarding policy among team members and ensure the implementation of safeguarding standards in every course of action.
• Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place, encourage others to do so.
• Degree in Finance / Business Administration or equivalent;
• Master’s Degree in accounting /Finance PLUS ACCA or CPA/CA/CIMA/ ACCA
• At least 5 years’ experience Finance/Business Administration or equivalent
• At least 3 years’ experience of independently leading a Finance/Audit team
• Knowledge on IAS/IFRS, Accounting, Budgeting, Finance, Auditing, Tax, VAT, Fiscal laws and their application
• In depth knowledge of international standard on Auditing.
• A good communicator, dynamic, hardworking and willing to work under pressure
• Sound knowledge on Computer Literacy.
• Highly proficient in English and Kiswahili
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
Employment type: Contractual
Job Location: BRAC Regional Office Nairobi, Kenya
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• Candidates need to email their CV with a letter of interest mentioning educational qualification, years of experience, current and expected salary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Please mention the name of the position in the subject bar. This is a national position and only Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply.
• Only complete applications will be accepted and short listed candidates will be contacted.
• Application deadline: 6th January 2023
• BRAC is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share the same commitment. We believe every stakeholder and every member of the communities we work with has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation - regardless of age, race, religion, and gender, status as an individual with a disability or ethnic origin. Therefore, our recruitment policy and procedure include extensive background checks and disclosure of criminal records in order to ensure safeguarding to the fullest extent.
• BRAC is an equal opportunities employer
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.