Jobs at:United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
Deadline of this Job:
19 January 2023
Date Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Finance Manager supervises and leads support personnel of the Finance Unit and works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations, and project teams in the Multi Country Office, UNOPS HQ staff and Government officials ensuring successful delivery of financial services.
The functions/duties/key results of this job description are generic and not all duties are carried out by all Finance Specialists.
Summary of Key Functions:
• Effective and accurate financial resources management and oversight
• Implementation of operational strategies and procedures
• Projects budgets management and organization of an optimal cost-recovery system
• Multi Country Office cash management and treasury
• Control of Multi Country Office accounts
• Facilitation of knowledge building and sharing
• Team Management
• Ensure effective and accurate financial resources management and oversight, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Elaboration of proposals for planning of financial resources of the Multi Country Office, continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation and presentation of forecasts for development and management projects; provision of high-quality professional advice to the Multi Country Office management
• Proper planning, expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources, in accordance with UNOPS financial rules and regulations.
• Organization and oversight of Kenya Multi Country Office cash management processes, including liquidity management, recommendation of imprest level, risk assessment, bank relationship management, timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site.
• Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions. Provision of information to supervisors and other UNOPS staff at HQ on the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
• Identification of problems in financial and administrative areas, suggesting alternative solutions to resolve issues in compliance with broader UNOPS policies, rules and procedures.
Ensure implementation of operational strategies and procedures, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Full compliance of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and audit follow up with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of effective internal control, proper design and functioning of the financial resources management system.
• Elaboration/establishment of internal standard operating procedures and control of the workflows in the Finance Unit.
• Elaboration and implementation of cost-saving and reduction strategies (including introduction and development of e-banking).
• Up-to-date on policy developments on UNOPS financial management issues.
Ensures timely budget preparation and effective monitoring and control, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Coordination of the preparation of the field operating budget; review of budget submissions, regular analysis and reporting on the budget approvals and the delivery situation; monitoring of expenditures against budget allotments and reporting on variances
• Coordination with the Portfolio Specialist to ensure compliance with UNOPS financial rules and regulations, financial policies and procedures and that project budgets and revisions are prepared in accordance with established procedures and budgetary guidelines of the funding agency; ensure that project budget rephasings are processed accurately and in a timely manner.
• Identification of administrative budgetary requirements; provision of guidance on guidelines for budget preparation, the format to be used in reflecting budget proposals and the procedures for submission to facilitate consolidation at the global level.
• Review, analysis and revision of data with respect to the finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements submitted by project managers; review of budget proposals for reasonableness, consistency with the organizational goals and priorities.
• Monitoring and advising the Kenya Multi Country Office Director on the financial status of projects and programmes (including pending and approved budgets; contributions confirmed but not yet available for expenditure; contributions available for expenditure and contributions already expended).
• Monitoring of budget implementation, expenditure levels against allotments and determination/recommendation of reallocation of funds when necessary.
• Status of budgetary allocations monitored on an ongoing basis; networking with clients to strengthen budget management and take corrective actions when required.
• Collaboration in the improvement of the UNOPS Project Budget formulation system, with the cooperation of the Information Technology group, ensuring the relevance of the system at all times by updating and proposing changes to facilitate financial management of projects and enhance financial reporting.
• Timely financial reports for submission to the funding agency in accordance with UNOPS rules, and in line with the established procedures.
• Review and appropriate recommendations with respect to the finalization of budget performance reports, analyzing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures
• Review and update of guidelines, procedures in light of changing circumstances or for the purpose of complying, streamlining and/or strengthening of existing financial and budgetary procedures
• Ensures proper Multi Country Office cash management and treasury functions, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements; identification and recording of receipts for income application.
• Daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in oneUNOPS to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
• Establishment of efficient local banking arrangements and compliance with local financial and banking regulations
• Building of project capacity to effect payments using UNOPS ERP system (oneUNOPS) or Imprest Accounts.
• Monitoring of the delivery and income of the portfolio; planning and adjustment of expenditures for the administrative budget
• Discussion and communication with the Portfolio Specialist the savings or potential concerns that may require further review.
• Analysis of trends and forecasting of income from projects and other sources.
Ensures proper control of Multi Country Office accounts and payments, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Analysis and elaboration of proposals for the internal expenditures’ control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in the ERP system (oneUNOPS); payrolls are duly prepared; monthly payment orders (MPOs), travel claims and other entitlements are duly processed.
• Quality control of the account by performing ongoing review, analysis and reconciliation of accounts. Investigation of discrepancies and initiation of timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
• Control of the Accounts Receivables for UNOPS projects and follow up with partners on contributions, maintenance of the General Ledger.
• Ensuring proper maintenance of the field financial accounts; preparation of financial records, statements and reports as required or approval of the work of subordinates; coordination of field replies to internal and external audit queries;
• Ensuring proper receipt, management, safeguarding and disbursement of payments handled by the field; review, modification, initiation and implementation of internal control procedures in coordination with Headquarters;
• Proper control of the supporting documents for payments; preparation of all types of vouchers; Pay Cycle and payments execution.
• Ensuring proper maintenance of the Accounts Receivables (AR) for UNOPS projects and follow-up with partners on contributions, deposits creation in the ERP system (oneUNOPS) and their application to AR pending items.
• Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Organization and conduct of training for the operations/ projects staff on Finance.
• Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in Finance.
• Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
• Provide technical guidance and on the job training to ensure work standards are achieved, both in terms of quantity/quality of input/output processed
• Team management
• Facilitate the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective recruitment, work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development.
• Provide oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practices.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
The key results have an impact on the overall Multi Country Office efficiency in financial resources management and success in introduction and implementation of operational strategies. Accurate, thoroughly researched and documented financial information, timely and appropriate delivery of services ensure client satisfaction and enhance UNOPS credibility in use of financial resources
• Master’s Degree or equivalent in Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics or related field is required;
• A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Certifications related to Chartered Accountancy (e.g. CA, CPA and ACCA) is desirable.
• Minimum of five (5) years of professional-level experience in accounting and/or finance in a reputable organization, public or private is required.
• A minimum of 2 years' experience in the international context (working in an international organization, working as an international personnel, etc) is required.
• A minimum of 2 years' experience supervising a team of at least three (3) people is required.
• Experience in World Bank/African Development Bank(AfDB) financial reporting and knowledge of EU financial requirements is an asset.
• A minimum of 2 years' experience in managing a team or teams in multiple locations is required.
• Experience in the field of accounting/finance in the UN common system is an added advantage.
• Knowledge of UNOPS financial rules and regulations is desired.
• Working knowledge of ERP and financial management, using electronic systems, environment are desired.
• Experience with Google Suite application is desired.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
Interested and qualified? Go to United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) on jobs.unops.org to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.