Finance Officer Position
Jobs at:NairoBits Trust
Deadline of this Job:
15 July 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Finance Officer Position
NairoBits is a non-profit organization that uses ICT to deliver socio-economic transformation for communities in under-resourced areas. Since its inception in 1999, NairoBits Trust has been committed to bridging the poverty gap for disadvantaged youth through the provision of digital skills training and promoting innovation for access to high-impact careers for these young people. Since its inception, the organization has impacted the lives of over 100,000 individuals and continues to make tech accessible as a life-changing and solution-building tool in the lives of vulnerable people.
In 2021, NairoBits launched its new Strategic Plan (2021-2025) which re-affirms the enduring vision and ambition of empowering and transforming the lives of young people through tech-based learning experiences and opportunities. The plan re-articulates the theory of change to better answer the call for deeper partnerships and response to advancing the methodology of creating change for youth. The Strategy is anchored on 3 thematic areas; Youth Capacity; Youth Opportunity and Institutional Capacity Strengthening as critical areas of focus in our growth to reinvigorate the organization, expand programs, and deepen our impact.
We are currently looking for a qualified and experienced person (a resident in Kenya) to fill the position of Finance Officer (FO) position. Reporting to the Finance and Administration Manager, the successful candidate will be assisting the financial and administrative functions within the organization.
Roles and Responsibilities
Finance and Accounting
• General accounting tasks, including reconciling and maintaining balance sheet accounts and general ledger operations, preparing journal entries, preparing monthly closing and financial reports, preparing account/bank reconciliations;
• Perform finance analysis, reporting and management tasks;
• Oversee the validation of transactions and verification of their overall impact on the general accounts;
• Outline to colleagues and validate the accounting systems and tools;
• Review financial paperwork and procedures, provide recommendations and make necessary changes;
• Ensure all expenses are within assigned project budget and verify the completeness of all required supporting documentation for all payments vouchers;
• Prepare payments, bank transfers and do the bank transactions;
• Produce periodic financial reports and other financial documents for the management of the NairoBits in accordance with the prevailing policies and procedures;
• Ensure timely and accurate monthly and year end closure of accounts, including bank reconciliation, and submit reports to the FAM and Executive Director as per prescribed deadlines;
• Ensure account receivables and payables activities are performed accurately and timely;
• Settle amounts due, or recover outstanding receivables;
• Identify and resolve invoicing issues, accounting discrepancies and other financial related issues;
• Prepare and coordinate financial audit;
• Ensure timely and effective follow up to audit observations and recommendations;
• Other duties include: Bank Reconciliation and cash flow projection, preparing Supplier payment runs, payroll processing & statutory compliance, account receivable management and asset management.
• Update the Executive Director on financial status of the organization.
1. Assist the Program Team in reviewing budget proposals of grantees and sub-contractors
• Ensure proper and complete documentation and filing for easy retrieval of all accounting related documents;
• Identify and provide feedback and suggestions to management related to improvements to NairoBits’ policies, procedures, processes and financial systems and related programs;
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director and the Direct Supervisor.
• Hand‐on use of a variety of accounting software Quick books.
• Experience in Management of donor funding projects.
• Willing to spend long, highly interactive hours on detailed work that demands accuracy
• Proven ability to produce results within tight deadlines in a very busy environment
• Strong ability to work independently, including the ability to multitask, prioritize competing tasks, and manage time effectively.
• High integrity, ethics and a good team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Proficient in ICT systems and MS Office. Knowledge of computerized accounting is added advantage
Academic and Professional Qualifications:
• A Bachelor’s degree in Commerce or Accounting or Business Administration or equivalent.
• CPA/ACCA II Qualification
• At least 5 years of experience in a similar position in the NGO sector.
• Strong analytical and reporting skills.
• Familiarity with Kenyan tax regime shall be an added advantage.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
Excellent English and Kiswahili language skills essential both in spoken and written.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Kindly send a Cover letter, a Resume and Salary expectation clearly showing how your qualifications and experience fit the above job profile to the undersigned. You must include reliable and reputable references; one must be your current or previous employer. Kindly email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org Using “Finance Officer Position” as your subject line before 15th July 2022. Only complete applications will be reviewed and short-listed candidates contacted
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.