Finance and Budget Assistant, G6
Jobs at:United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
Deadline of this Job:
05 June 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Finance and Budget Assistant, G6 (Temporary)
UN Environment's Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition. This position is located in Ecosystems Division, Administrative services, Nairobi duty station.
Under the overall supervision of the UNEP/Global Environment Facility (GEF) Fund Management Officer (FMO), and within delegated authority, the incumbent will perform the following functions:
• Project Design and Development:- Verify documents for overall budgetary accuracy, consistency and uniformity in presentation and ensure comprehensiveness and compliance with formats prescribed; Cross-check consistency of figures in tables with the text of the reports, and verify references to other reports and documents, suggest corrections to be made to the Fund Management Officer concerned; Co-ordinate with other finance and programme staff in preparing budgets with respect to project document; Liaise with Executing Agency and UNON to obtain third party/payee details.
• Project Implementation:- Prepare/review funding documents for budget allotments, review expenditure reports from executing agencies to ensure (a) correct account and objects of expenditure have been charged (b) validity of
• charges (c) availability of funds; Review/prepare project structure and commitments in Umoja; Review and process cash advances, UNDP authorizations and fund transfers to EAs, ensuring that the advances are within the approved budget and approved by FMO; Initiate processing of cash advances and expenditures through UNON applications portal and follow up with UNON for remittances of funds and liquidation of expenditure reports; Notify payees
• of status of payments and investigate complaints of non-receipt.; Assist FMO with regular review of UNDP IOVs to ensure that they have been properly recorded; Monitor expenditures to ensure they remain within authorized levels; Analyze variances between approved budgets and expenditures and prepare adjustments as necessary; Assist in annual project revisions and supporting schedules; Reconcile project accounts against independent audit certificates
• received from executing agencies.
• Project Evaluation and Closure:- Update project database with relevant project information on revision/closure of project; Provide financial information required in Project Implementation Review (PIR), Mid-term review/evaluation
• and Terminal Evaluation; Assist in the preparation of project completion and closing revision and supporting schedules. Process disposal of non-expendable equipment in accordance with UNEP procedures before closure of projects. Prepare request for refund of unspent balances for approval by Fund Management Officer; Track receipt of expected income through Treasury deposit report and ensures credit is posted correctly to the proper Trust Fund.
• General:- Provide general administrative support to Fund Management Officer and other team members; Provide guidance and training to colleagues and supervise other General Service staff as required; Track and follow-up on administrative processes in progress; Maintain and keep up-to-date project files. Archive documentation as required, Keep log of archived files and track of archived information.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Professionalism: Good knowledge of general administrative processes and procedures in particular those related to programme/project administration, implementation and evaluation; Ability to extract, interpret, analyze and format data. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations;
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others-Places team agenda before personal agenda-Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position-Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Completion of High school diploma or equivalent is required. Finance related training is desirable.
• Candidates MUST have passed the United Nations Administrative Support Test (ASAT) or the Global General Service Test (GGST) at Headquarters or at Offices Away from Headquarters (OAHs). Applicants who have not passed the GGST at the time of application may be invited for the test after applying.
• A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible work experience in finance, budget, accounting or related area is required.
• Experience with SAP or similar Enterprise Resource Planning system (ERP) is required.
• Experience in accounting/Financial Management is desirable.
• Experience with an international organization is desirable.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Job application procedure
Interested and qualified? Go to United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) on careers.un.org to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.