Finance and Budget Assistant, G6
Jobs at:United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
Deadline of this Job:
26 January 2023
Date Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
This post is located in the Communication Division at the Nairobi duty station. Under the supervision of the Fund Management Officer, the incumbent will carry out the following duties:
• Provide support with respect to the review, analyses and preparation of Division costed work plans and its revisions;
• Prepare supporting documents; Assist project managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions; Check payment requests; Monitor expenditures; Review requisitions for goods and services;
• Assist in preparation of budget performance reports and status of reports, analyzing variances;
• Co-ordinate with other finance/budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports;
• Assist in closure of year-end accounts; Review the final project accounts' runs;
• Liaise and follow up with United Nations Office Nairobi (UNON) for processing of requested payments;
• Prepare sub-allotment advices; Contribute in responding to audit queries by the internal and external auditors;
• Assist in preparing donor reports and drafting responses to donor queries.
• Facilitate the development and preparation of accurate project documents and revisions;
• Research for information and report on the projects;
• Prepare responses to project related queries;
• Assist in the closure of projects; Assist in the finalization of project approval;
• Assist in the follow up of receipt of cash advance statements, progress and final reports;
• Provide administrative and financial support in the management of projects;
• Follow up with project managers on receipt of progress reports and financial reports;
• Review reports received;
• Assist in preparing documents;
• Assist in drafting and reviewing legal agreements.
• Keep up-to-date reference documents, reports and guidelines;
• Draft/prepare correspondence to respond to inquiries;
• Act as petty cash custodian ensuring cash journals are appropriately documented, reconciled and replenished as per laid down procedures;
• May be responsible for providing guidance, training and daily supervision to staff;
• Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
• Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
• Performs other related duties assigned.
• PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of, and ability to apply financial rules, regulations and procedures in the UN environment; Knowledge, skills and ability to extract, interpret, analyze and format data across the full range of finance and budget functions; Ability to identify and resolve data discrepancies and operational problems; Ability to perform analysis, modeling and interpretation of data in support of decision-making. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
• PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
• ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
• High school diploma or equivalent is required. Supplementary training in programme/project administration/management, finance, budget, accounting, administrative services or related area is required.
• Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV), International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
• The GGST is administered to applicants when required before the administration of a written assessment and/or interview.
• A minimum of seven (7) years' progressive experience in administration, programme /project administration, finance, budget, accounting or related field is required.
• Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems in finance and budget modules is required.
• Experience working with Excel is desirable.
• One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.