Finance and Budget Assistant, G6
Jobs at:United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
Deadline of this Job:
Friday, July 21 2023
Date Posted: Tuesday, July 04 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• May be acting as Certifying Officer on behalf of and in the absence of programme managers at offices outside of headquarters.
• Providing support with respect to the review, analyses and preparation of the medium-term plan and its revisions.
• Preparing supporting documents (narrative and supporting tables) with respect to finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements.
• Assisting managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
• Undertaking research and providing support to higher level Finance & Budget Officers with respect to budget reviews of relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies.
• Monitoring expenditures and comparing with approved budget; prepares adjustments as necessary.
• Reviewing requisitions for goods and services to ensure (a) correct objects of expenditure have been charged, and (b) availability of funds.
• Assisting in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
• Monitoring integrity of various financial databases.
• Verifying accuracy of input data, ensuring consistency of data in previous allotments to new allotments issued.
• Coordinating with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
• Reviewing, analysing and preparing payments to third-parties, commercial entities, with respect to settlement of certified death and disability, contingent-owned equipment, stores, pay and allowances, and letters of assist claims.
• Assisting staff members, fund management officers and donors regarding queries on payment and deposit-related issues.
• Keeping up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
• Drafting or preparing correspondence to respond to inquiries in respect to relevant financial and budget matters.
• Maintaining and keeping up-to-date files.
• Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
• Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
• May be responsible for providing guidance, training and daily supervision to other general service staff in the area of responsibility.
• Performing other related duties, as assigned.
• PROFESSIONALISM: Good knowledge of general administrative processes and procedures in particular those related to programme/project administration, implementation and evaluation; Ability to perform analysis, modeling and interpretation of data in support of decision-making. Ability to extract and format data. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations; commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
• COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• High school diploma or equivalent is required. Supplemental training in Administration, Finance or related field is desirable.
• Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV), International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
• The GGST is administered to applicants when required before the administration of a written assessment and/or interview.
• A minimum of seven (7) years of work experience in finance, budget, accounting, administrative services or related area is required.
• Experience with Global funds such as Global Environment Facility (GEF), Adaptation Fund (AF) and/or Green Climate Fund (GCF) is desirable.
• Experience working with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems such as Systems, Applications and Products (SAP), eg, UN Umoja, in grants management, funds management and financial management modules is desirable.
• One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
• English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Level of Education: High School
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.