Finance and Budget Assistant
Jobs at:United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
Deadline of this Job:
20 December 2022
Date Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Duties and Responsibilities
Finance and Budget
• Provides support with respect to the review, analyses and preparation of the medium-term plan and its revisions.
• Prepares supporting documents (narrative and supporting tables) with respect to finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements.
• Assists managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
• Undertakes research and provides support to higher level Finance & Budget Officers with respect to budget reviews of relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies.
• Monitors expenditures and compares with approved budget; prepares adjustments as necessary.
• Reviews requisitions for goods and services to ensure (a) correct objects of expenditure have been charged, and (b) availability of funds.
• Assists in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analyzing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
• Monitors integrity of various financial databases.
• Verifies accuracy of input data, ensuring consistency of data in previous allotments to new allotments issued.
• Co-ordinates with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
• Periodic reconciliation of accounts (UMOJA/IMIS)
• Process fund distribution received from Corporate Services Division and input budget allotments and distribution in UMOJA
• Provides support with respect to the review and analysis of budgetary elements on project. Also supports preparation and revision of project documents
• Assists project teams, Fund Management Officers and donors regarding queries on Implementing Partner Payments and donor reporting and refund issues.
• Assist in creation of new grants and Work Breakdown Structure Elements (WBSEs) based on approved project or POW budgets and requesting for their approval in Umoja Creates new project grants in Umoja based on approved projects or donor agreements.
• Supports the Finance/Budget Officers(s) in extracting information and generating expenditure reports from computerized information system databases; assists in preliminary analyses of the extracted information and the reports generated, and highlights areas of concern for the attention of the Finance/Budget Officer(s).
• Creates funds pre-commitments, commitments against certified and approved requests
• Maintains an internal tracking tool for all signed Legal agreements in Africa Office.
• Tracking of invoices to ensure timely payments to vendors; receivables monitoring to ensure down payments are executed/offset against approved grants; posting of approved adjustments against approved budgets.
• Assist initiate and track Implementing Partner (IP) payments against approved agreements and process expenditure reports pursuant to financial reports submitted by IPs and certified by the Budget officer/Fund management officer.
• Keeps up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
• Drafts or prepares correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant financial and budget matters.
• Maintain and keep up-to-date files.
• May be responsible for providing guidance and training to other staff in the area of responsibility.
• Performs other related duties, as assigned.
• Closure and revision of the projects and project structures
• Post-implementation data clean up and validation of Umoja financial data Donor Reporting
• Follows-up on admin/budget/finance tasks related to official travel of staff such as certification of travel plans
• Perform other duties as may be required
• High School Diploma and Supplementary training in the field of Finance and Accounting is required.
• A minimum of 7 years of progressive work experience in finance, accounting is required
• Prior experience in the UN system and knowledge of Umoja and other Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems is highly desirable.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.