Finance and Budget Officer, P3
Jobs at:United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON)
Deadline of this Job:
Friday, July 14 2023
Date Posted: Friday, June 16 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• Provides input to the strategic planning of the organization in line with established frameworks and guidelines
• Reviews and analyses data with respect to the finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements for regular budget and extra-budgetary resources under UNON Administration.
• Provides substantive support to relevant intergovernmental and interagency bodies for their review of budget proposals and their revisions.
• Ensures that resources are utilized in line with authorized budgets, the priorities of the organization and the UN financial rules and regulations;
• Execute cost recovery in line with established agreements and policies and support on the collection of associated receivables;
• Performs approving functions of financial transactions as per delegation.
• Produces periodic and ad hoc reviews and reports and recommendations in relation to the various responsibilities assigned to the Section.
• Assists in preparation of financial statements for UNEP, UN-Habitat and the processing of volume 1 year-end schedules UNON, SAHEL and RCS for inclusion in the UN Financial Statements to be audited;
• Assists in the preparation of interim and final donor reports for UNEP, UN-Habitat and other client entities.
• Identifies problem transactions and irregularities in related accounts, resolving them in a timely and effective manner;
• Assists in the preparation and reconciliation of the UNDP Project Delivery reports (PDR) and the Project Cash advance reports (PCA);
• Approves and confirms that financial documents are in accordance with the UN Financial Regulations and Rules;
• Analyses accounts and reviews/evaluates regular financial reports at Headquarters, from Offices-away-from-Headquarters for UNEP and UN-Habitat;
• Researches and analyses information needed to respond to internal/external audit queries and observations;
• Advises and guides the clients concerning the United Nations' Financial Regulations and Rules and Accounting Instructions;
• Reviews and confirms reconciliations and suspense accounts analysis during the year and at year end;
• Participates in the development of accounting policies.
• Analyzes and monitors open item managed accounts (OIM) in the ERP system (Umoja) and initiate corrective action;
• Performs approving functions of financial transactions as per delegation.
• Reviews and analyzes various reports and advises management on any operational gaps and make recommendations for corrective action as appropriate;
• Respond to queries and review correspondence in relation to budgetary and financial matters from management, clients (internal and external), auditors and other stakeholders;
• Analyses administrative practices and procedures with the aim of identifying possible areas of improvements in order to enhance effectiveness, efficiency and transparency;
• Ensures that accurate and complete accounting; reporting and internal control systems are functioning;
• Ensures that all relevant records and audit trails are maintained;
• Supervise one or more professional staff, team leaders and/or teams and provide day-day management and supervision, training and guidance to other staff;
• Provide support to Unit Chief in planning of unit and team staff work plans, monitor and report performance against the plans;
• Knowledge retention and quality assurance focal point for the team;
• Performs other related duties, as assigned.
• PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of financial principles and practices. Ability to independently conduct research and analysis, formulate options and present conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
• CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
• COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance, or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Professional qualification from a recognized accountancy body like Association of Chartered Accountants (ACA), Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Certified Public Accountants (CPA), or Chartered Institute of Management accountants (CIMA) is a required.
• Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
• A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in finance, administration, budget, business administration or related area is required.
• Experience with the International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) framework and preparation of financial statements is required.
• Experience with Enterprise Resource Platform (ERP) systems specifically in the use of
• SAP/ERP is required.
• Experience with management and monitoring financial reporting and/or donor reporting
• specifically using Business Intelligence is desirable.
• Supervisory Experience with performance management is desirable.
• Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
• English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official United Nations language is desirable. NOTE: "fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and " Knowledge of" equals a rating of " confident" in two of the four areas.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
• Interested and qualified? Go to United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) on careers.un.org to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.