Finance and Budget Officer, P4
Jobs at:United Nations Environment Programme
Deadline of this Job:
31 August 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
This post is located in the Law Division OzonAction Branch of the at the Nairobi duty station. Under the direct supervision of the Head, Programme Delivery and Management Unit (PDMU) and overall supervision of the Head of OzonAction Branch, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
• Reviews, analyses, and finalizes the preparation of the medium-term plan and its revisions on the basis of departmental submissions, taking into account recommendations and decisions of specialized intergovernmental bodies.
• Provides substantive support to relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies in their review of the medium-term plan and its revisions; secures approval from the intergovernmental bodies and General Assembly.
• Ensure legislative mandates are accurately translated into program budgets.
• Reviews, analyses, and finalizes cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements from programme at global level and in the regional offices, including programmatic aspects; ensure compliance with the medium-term plan and other legislative mandates.
• Provides detailed input with respect to resource requirements for budget submissions.
• Reviews, analyses, and finalizes program budget/financial implications to the programme in light of additional Legislative mandates.
• Provides substantive support to relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies in their budget review, assists in securing approval from the General Assembly and Legislative bodies.
• Issues allotments, authorizes sub-allotments, including redeployment of funds when necessary, ensuring appropriate expenditures.
• Manages and monitors budget implementation and recommends reallocation of funds as necessary.
• Monitors expenditures to ensure that they remain within authorized levels.
• Administers and monitors extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
• Prepares budget performance submissions.
• Reviews and finalizes budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
• Leads the annual Financial Progress Report process as well as all financial reporting to the intergovernmental bodies, General Assembly, and manages audit processes and monitors implementation of audit recommendation.
• Provides substantive support to relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies.
• Provides advice and guidance, including training, on budgetary and financial policies and procedures, including results based budgeting.
• Participates in inter-departmental meetings and/or technical survey missions on matters related to resource requirements, programming and budgetary issues.
• Keeps up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to program, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and
• Drafts reports for intergovernmental bodies and for management on budgetary issues, and correspondence.
• Undertakes research and analysis of budgetary policies and procedures, makes recommendations for changes and/or modifications.
• Acts as Certifying Officer under Financial Rule 110.4 to ensure that proposed obligations and expenditures are in accordance with approved budgets and established regulations and rules.
• Ensures the integrity of financial and management systems and the controls that underpin them.
• Provides support with respect to representation of the Law Division in meetings of legislative organs.
• Represents the Division in inter and intra-departmental meetings.
• May plan, organize, manage and supervise the work of the Unit/Section assigned.
• Incumbent may be asked to perform other related duties.
• PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of financial and budgetary principles and practices, budget development and financial administration of resources. Ability to develop budgetary policies, procedures and new programmes. Ability to formulate new strategies and technical approaches to budgetary matters. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance, accounting or related area is required.
• A first-level university degree in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA) qualification or equivalent is desirable.
• A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in finance, administration, budget, business administration or related area is required.
• Experience with System Analysis Program Development (SAP-Umoja) or similar Enterprise Resource Planning system (ERP) is required.
• Experience in providing financial management and administrative services to Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs) and/or International Environmental treaties (i.e. Montreal protocol) promoted by the United Nations is required.
• Experience within the UN system or other international or public sector organization is desirable.
• Experience in the preparation of reports to intergovernmental bodies or donors is desirable
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested and qualified? Go to United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) on careers.un.org to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.