Finance and Budget Officer [Temporary]
Jobs at:United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
Deadline of this Job:
09 February 2023
Date Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
This position is located in UNEP's Corporate Services Division (CSD) at the Nairobi Duty Station. Under the overall supervision of the Head of Unit, Finance Management Section, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
Medium Term Plan:
• Reviews, analyses and finalizes the preparation of the medium-term plan and its revisions on the basis of submissions.
• Ensures legislative mandates are accurately translated into programme budgets.
• Budget preparation:
• Reviews and analyses data with respect to the finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements for the Division, including programmatic aspects.
• Provides support to Division Director and Managers with respect to the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
• Reviews, analyses and provides input into finalization of programme budget/financial implications.
• Budget administration:
• Issues allotments, including redeployment of funds when necessary, ensuring appropriate expenditures.
• Monitors budget implementation and determines/recommends reallocation of funds when necessary.
• Monitors expenditures to ensure that they remain within authorized levels.
• Reviews all requisitions generated by the Umoja system for goods and services to ensure correct objects of expenditure have been charged, ensuring availability of funds.
• Administers and monitors extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
• Prepares relevant documentation with respect to budget performance submissions.
• Reviews and makes appropriate recommendations with respect to the finalization of budget performance reports, analyzing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
• Keeps up to date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme and/or peacekeeping budgets, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
• Monitors and supervises the work of subordinate staff as required.
• Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
• Performs other related duties, as assigned.
• PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of financial principles and practices. Ability to independently conduct research and analysis, formulate options and present conclusions and recommendations. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance, or related field is required.
• A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
• A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in finance, administration, budget, business administration or related area is required.
• Experience in working with Enterprise Resource Planning Systems is desirable.
• Experience working within the UN system or similar international organisations is desirable.
• Experience on specialized financial management tasks and advisory services to Governing Bodies is desirable.
• Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
• English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested and qualified? Click Here To Apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.