Finance and Budget Officer
Jobs at:United Nations Support Office in Somalia
Deadline of this Job:
22 June 2022
Date Posted: Friday, June 10, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
This position is located in the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS) and is based in Nairobi. The incumbent will report to the Chief, Budget and Finance Section.
• Within delegated authority, the Finance and Budget Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Strategic Resourcing and Stewardship:
• Prepares cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of mission's resourcing requirements such as staff and non-staff requirements, including programmatic aspects; reviews, analyses and revises data with respect to the finalization of the budget proposals as well as Result Based Budgeting inputs.
• Provides support to programme/fund centre managers (Substantive and Support Sections) with respect to the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
• Administers and monitors extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
• Administers the mission's allotments in accordance with the established procedures including redeployment/reallocation of funds.
• Ensures the efficient and effective use of budgetary resources through robust monitoring of budget utilization to the approved budget and timely provision of information to Mission management for decision making; provides support and guidance to fund centre/programme managers on budget implementation and corrective actions where necessary.
• Prepares the budget performance reports of the mission and ensures that correct and accurate data and information are provided by the various programme /fund centre managers in compliance with the Controller's instructions. Reviews and finalizes the performance reports ensuring valid and adequate variance explanations between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
• Advises and ensures that only valid year-end budget commitments confirming with established
• procedures are valid for carrying forward.
• Carries out duties consistent with the financial delegation in adherence with the UN Regulations and Rules.
• Provides advice, financial interpretations, adaptations, and corrective actions in response to audits and other queries to ensure adherence to the UN Financial Regulations and Rules, Staff Rules, Administrative Instructions, Bulletins and Circulars under the supervision/guidance of the Chief of Unit/Section, Finance and Budget.
• Performance Monitoring:
• Performs analysis, preparation and delivery of strategic support and business intelligence to operational counterparts and mission leadership on financial resourcing and stewardship, and organizational performance of the mission, in line with mission priorities. Actively participates and engages in planning, monitoring, and reporting of financial and operational performance.
• Performs function as approving officer.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Professionalism: Knowledge of budget, administration, and financial management. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
• Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations.
• Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. _ Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda.
• Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required.
• Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning.
• Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
• An advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in business administration, public administration, finance or in a related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience in accounting, budget or finance may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• Work Experience
• A minimum of five (05) years of progressively responsible experience in finance, budget, administration, public administration, business administration or related area is required.
• Experience in cost management, budget formulation, financial monitoring, accounting, audit, financial reporting or other related areas is required.
• Experience working with international or multi-national organizations in a volatile, conflict or post conflict settings is desirable.
• Experience with IPSAS/IFRS or similar international accounting standards is desirable.
• Experience in using SAP (UMOJA) and Business Intelligence Reporting tools is desirable
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply follow this link https://inspira.un.org/psp/PUNA1J/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/UN_CUSTOMIZATIONS.UN_JOB_DETAIL.GBL?Action=A&UNAction=Apply&JobOpeningId=182659&languageCd=ENG&
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.