Financial Inclusion Junior Consultant - 2SCALE
Jobs at:International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC)
Deadline of this Job:
04 September 2022
Date Posted: Monday, August 22, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Financial Inclusion Junior Consultant - 2SCALE
The 2SCALE program is designed to incubate and accelerate inclusive business development in African agri-food systems. 2SCALE works together with companies (African, Dutch, and other small and medium-sized enterprises - SMEs) and producer organizations (POs) to develop business models and partnership models that promote inclusiveness, develop competitive edge, and have potential for scaling. These partnerships, also referred to as public-private partnerships (PPPs), are the core implementation modality to achieve the objectives of the program.
Specifically, 2SCALE supports partnerships in target agri-food industries with significant potential to:
improve food and nutrition security, both at grassroots level and at the consumer end of the value chain by serving local and regional markets (including Base-of-the-Pyramid – BoP - markets) with nutritious food products.
improve the terms of inclusion of smallholder farmers and other micro-, small-, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) in the value chains.
attract and employ the youth.
engage and empower women.
To strengthen PPPs, 2SCALE also collaborates with companies and organizations that provide a specific expertise to support the target agri-food value chains or act as a major off-taker in the chain. 2SCALE is co-funded by the private sector and by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs through the Directorate-General for International Cooperation (DGIS). Building on a first phase (2012-18), the current phase of 2SCALE runs from January 1, 2019, to December 31, 2023. It is awarded to a consortium led by the International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) and comprising the Base-of-the-Pyramid Innovation Center (BoPInc) and the Netherlands Development Organization (SNV).
Partnership with Batian Nuts Limited
Batian is a processor and exporter of macadamia operating in Meru and Tharaka Nithi counties of Kenya. 2SCALE partnered with Batian Nuts to improve the production of groundnuts by farmers in Tharaka Nithi and Meru counties and increase the availability of nutritious groundnuts products to low-income consumers. The partnership is building a cluster of farmers who produce aflatoxin free groundnuts sustainably and channel it through Batian for processing and finally to consumers. We support farmers to improve their production through sustainable practices and Batian to secure financing and develop processing capacity for groundnut products. The partnership is particularly keen to support youth and women enterprises that provide services in the supply chain of Batian.
Partnership with Tegemeo Cereals Enterprise Limited.
Tegemeo Cereals Enterprise Ltd is farmer-led grain aggregator, trader, and supplier operating in the semi-arid counties in eastern Kenya. The partnership between Tegemeo and 2SCALE aims to is to build resilience of smallholder farmers’ commercial farming ventures and to develop affordable and nutritious of sorghum and pearl millet-based products for low-income consumers in the semi-arid counties of Tharaka Nithi, Makueni and Kitui. Resilience of farmer ventures will be built by increasing their production, productivity, and incomes through introduction of high yielding and bio-fortified drought tolerant varieties of sorghum and pearl millet alongside eco-efficient innovations and climate smart farming practices.
About the Financial Inclusion Junior Consultant Role
Access to finance smallholder farmers and other actors in the partnerships is one of the huddles the that must overcome for the partnerships to achieve their ambitions. Financial inclusion interventions are thus a key priority for 2SCALE in 2022. 2SCALE, Batian Nuts and Tegemeo agreed to strengthen internal capitalization of smallholders and other value chain actors by engaging a Financial Inclusion Junior Consultant to operationalization and strengthening Village and Savings Loans Associations (VSLAs) smallholder farmers linked to Batian Nuts and Tegemeo Cereals Enterprise Ltd. This activity is captured in Batian Nuts’ and Tegemeo’s 2022 action plans as Activity 3.1 and Activity 2.1, respectively and is due for implementation. In this SoW, 2SCALE will hire this consultant for a period of one year.
Operationalize and strengthen 250 Village Savings and Loans Associations (VSLAs) of smallholder farmers linked to Batian Nuts and Tegemeo Cereals Enterprise Ltd.
• Take a participative and active role in the overall implementation of 2SCALE’s financial inclusion interventions.
• Mobilization, recruitment, and registration of VSLA/farmer organizations linked to Batian Nuts and Tegemeo Cereals Enterprise Ltd.
• Participate in development and review of group-lending specific financial products based on market needs.
• Work with VSLAs/ farmer organizations to deliver a range of financial literacy training targeted to their individual needs. These include record keeping assistance, cash-flow management, credit management, and referrals to financial institutions.
• Coaching, mentoring, and hand holding of Batian Nuts and Tegemeo extensionists in delivery of financial literacy training.
• Recording, verifying and assessment of data on VSLA/ farmer organization savings.
• Identify, initiate, and manage community strategic partnerships that increase quality of 2SSCALE’s Financial Inclusion interventions.
• Submit timely monthly and quarterly reports as required by 2SCALE.
• Support 2SCALE communications team with success stories from the field.
• Environmental screening and mitigation measures
This assignment will not have any significant adverse effect on the environment.
Successful undertaking of the aforementioned tasks will result in
Increased financial literacy among smallholder farmers, and other partnership actors
Increased savings in the VSLAs, with savings data captured under the partnership’s UII-8
Creation of linkages between Batian Nuts, Tegemeo, the VSLAs and financial institutions operating within Tharaka Nithi county.
Monthly field reports
Every 30th day of the month
These include a brief narrative report of field activities, pictures, and attendance lists as per the template provided
These include list of VSLAs and savings
Within 3 days upon completion of the activity
These include Reach & Reaction forms filled as per the template provided.
The Consultant will be based in Giekuri , Marimanti town, Tharaka Nithi county at the field offices where the BSS’s/business champions are located. S/he will travel in-country to meet with field partners and any other program related activities.
Qualifications and Skills Required
• An undergraduate bachelor’s degree in Business related courses from a recognized institution.
• Knowledge in sales and marketing, group-lending, credit, and risk management as well as relevant experience in the micro-finance and banking sectors
• Experience working with rural communities, table banking “chamas” or farmer organizations or farmer groups
• Experience in delivering training of financial education, mentoring and coaching
• Proficiency in computers is mandatory.
• Ability to analyze and interpret financial statements.
• Clear understanding of microfinance/banking industry is an added advantage.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills with excellent customer service.
• A team player with the drive to improve performance.
• Persuasive with strong recognition and facilitation skills.
• Self-driven with the ability to work independently under minimum supervision.
• Knowledge of Meru and Tharaka languages.
• Collaboration and Reporting
The consultant will report to the Partnership Facilitator responsible for the partnerships, with support of the Financial Inclusion team for which they are assigned and will benefit from coaching from other team members of 2SCALE. The consultant will be expected to make monthly reports and activity reports from specific activities such as field travels, trainings, workshops, among others.
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested and qualified? Go to International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) on jobs.silkroad.com to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.