Global Climate and Environmental Mitigation Advisor - Kenya
Jobs at:Danish Refugee Council
Deadline of this Job:
15 August 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
About the job
The overall responsibility of the Global Climate & Environmental Mitigation Advisor is to take lead in the roll-out of DRC’s Go Green Operational Principle (OP) in the regions, leading a systematic approach to reducing its carbon and environemental footprint. The Global Mitigation Advisor will support mitigation measures and ensure that DRCs own conduct is nature-positive through a green lens on everything we do in programming and DRC operations. This includes supporting the elaboration of carbon footprints, development of reduction action plans and introduction and implementation of reduction and mitigation measures for systematic integration of climate and environmental considerations in programming and DRC operations.
In line with the global international commitments made by the IPCC, DRC aims to reduce its own greenhouse gas emissions with minimum 50% in 2030 and minimize any negative environmental impacts associated with its internal conduct, programming and operations. Reducing greenhouse gas emissions and minimizing harm to the environment contribute to global climate action ambitions and protects the natural resource-based livelihoods, health and security of displaced populations and host communities. The Global Climate and Environmental Mitigation Advisor reports to Head of Programme Innovation and Business Engagement, whereas technical reference is to the Global Lead on Climate and Environment (HQ). The Global Climate & Environmental Mitigation Advisor works in close collaboration with DRC’s Global Sector & Platform Leads, the Global Environmental Advisor and establishes strong working relationships with regional & country heads of programme. The Global Advisor is a key member of DRC’s ‘go green’ community of practice and will form part of a team of global green advisors.
Strategy and Policy
• Build DRC capacity, knowledge and evidence of how to introduce mitigation measures as an integrated part of DRC programming and operations.
• Lead the development of approaches, concepts and initiatives to significantly reduce DRC's carbon footprint and strengthen the DRC programmatic response and operations, and work with relevant colleagues in fundraising, innovative finance, and beyond, to turn these concepts into partnerships and fundraising opportunities.
Technical advice and support
• Provide technical support and strategic fundraising advise for regional offices and country offices in the development, monitoring, implementation and evaluation of country operation carbon footprints and reduction action plans.
• Develop and maintain global partnerships for evidence-building and learning on carbon reduction initiatives.
• Support country operations and the global sectors in developing and implementing initiatives to reduce the carbon footprint of our programing and operations including through partnership building.
• Contribute to external communication for donor and partners influencing and sharing of learning based on DRC’s green practices.
• Keep abreast of trends, standards and guidelines in the donor field and in international climate change mitigation fora of relevance to DRC.
• Deliver relevant policy, standards, resources, guidance and tools to country and regional operations.
• Contribute to DRC’s learning and evidence-building, including by collecting and sharing good practice, and with a view to ensuring cross-country consistency in programming.
Resources, training and learning
• Building DRC capacity, knowledge and evidence of how to program for reduction of carbon emissions.
• Develop learning material and disseminate on DRC’s intranet InSite. This will include development and roll-out of a global manual and training package and working towards the establishment of a Global Learning Hub.
• Oversee technical capacity building of field teams through in-person, site-based trainings and demonstrations.
• Ensure institutional knowledge management, including maintaining and updating Intranet and Collaborative Space / SharePoint folder.
• To be successful in this role we expect you to have minimum of five years’ experience in the field of mitigation of carbon-related activities and programing in the humanitarian or development sector, including up-to-date knowledge of systems-based approaches related to mitigation of carbon and environmental footprints.
• All employees should master DRC's core competencies: Communicating, Taking the lead, Collaborating, Striving for excellence and Demonstrating integrity.
• Moreover, we also expect the following:
• Minimum five years’ experience in the field of mitigation of carbon-related activities and programing in the humanitarian or development sector.
• Minimum five years’ experience with development and usage of tools related to reduction of organizational carbon footprint and/or designing and managing climate and environmentally sustainable programs.
• Excellent and up-to-date knowledge of systems-based approaches related to mitigation of carbon and environmental footprints.
• Demonstrated experience in training design and facilitation.
• Highly motivated and hard-working, with strong attention to detail.
• Strong computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point)
• Able and willing to travel for up to 45 days per year.
• Experience working in complex institutional environments and a strong ability to establish close collaborative working relationships across dispersed geographical locations.
• Demonstrated experience of using participatory methods with vulnerable and displaced communities.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including concise writing and engaging presenting and facilitation.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently as part of a small team, and to form close working relationships with a diverse range of multi-cultural colleagues.
• Contract length: Two years with possibility of extension
• Workplace: DRC Regional Office East Africa and Great Lakes based in Nairobi, Kenya or DRC Country Office Kampala, Uganda
• Start date: November 1, 2022
• Employment band: non-management F
• Salary and conditions for the position will be on DRC terms.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Job application procedure
How to apply
• Application process
• All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV in English. Apply online on our page Current Vacancies at www.drc.ngo. You can directly access the vacancy here.
• Closing date for applications: August 15, 2022. We expect to conduct interviews during the week of August 29 to September 2.
• For questions regarding the vacancy please contact email@example.com , Global advisor on Climate and Environment.
• For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.