Head of Finance & Support Services, Kenya
Deadline of this Job:
20 July 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
DCA in Kenya
• We have been supporting development work in Kenya since the 1990s. We focus on the following sectors, through a rights-based approach:
• Resilient livelihoods and sustainable food security
• Locally-led humanitarian response
• Climate change, gender justice and innovation
The main duties relating to this position are as follows:
Coordination and Technical Support
• Contribute to the Country Programme strategies and policies through advisory services to the Country Director.
• Provide technical advice and operational guidance on innovative approaches to project financing, risk assessment/mitigation and use of financing structures, mechanisms instruments and guarantees.
• Collaborate with colleagues to identify the need, determine cost and plan all Country programme support services, including procurement, finance, and administrative services.
• Participate in forum discussions/platforms to ensure the organisation’s position, interests and priorities are fully considered.
Project Planning and Coordination Support
• Provide assistance and support to the programme on project budget preparation.
• Monitor Country office financial projections and refer critical issues to the Country Director for action.
• Provide advice on programme and project cost sharing, deployment of funds and closure.
• Constantly monitor and analyse the operating environment to identify potential risks.
• Support and ensure close liaison with the Field Offices is maintained, in order to troubleshoot any issues that might cause interruption in the support services management.
• Support viable procurement solutions that meet operational needs and compliance with the organisation’s procurement procedures, regulations and standard of accountability, ethics, integrity, performance and cost effectiveness.
• Evaluate the efficiency and integrity of the procurement evaluation process to ensure cost-effective procurement of goods and services.
• Evaluate contractual arrangements and legal commitments/risks for appropriate action.
• Evaluate, list, update and monitor the performance of service providers of suitable/current vendors.
• Oversee the programme Finance Unit and ensure compliance with the organization’s Financial Rules & Regulations and Finance procedures.
• Supervise the timely review, posting and closure of accounts, verify accuracy and compliance with policy and standards of accountability framework.
• Oversee all financial services (accounting, cash management, payments etc.) ensuring timeliness and compliance with standards of accountability and performance
• Review financial plans and oversee the budget process/cycle to ensure timely revisions and reallocation of funds.
• Ensure the availability and timely submission of required financial reports, both internal and external.
• Manage and monitor the cash flow based on established financial goals and resource mobilization plans.
• Oversee certifying and authorizing payments, expenditures and disbursements, entering all transactions into the FMS Maconomy and that the supporting documents are filed according to internal procedures.
• Ensure all spending is in accordance with the DCA and donor requirements, and all relevant files for documentation are created, updated and maintained.
• Monitor that DCA and donor policies, procedures and guidelines are strictly adhered to and that DCA operates in compliance with local laws.
Administration, Information Technology and Knowledge Management
• In close collaboration with Headquarters, support the compilation of yearly budget forecasting, annual reports and contribute to Donor reporting guidelines.
• Oversee the acquisition, maintenance, inventory, recording, verification and protection of project and administrative facilities/assets, including IT infrastructure, equipment and servers.
• Identify innovative opportunities for use of IT platforms/systems to enhance efficiency and to facilitate knowledge management, and information sharing.
• At the request of the Country Director and in collaboration with the team, plan, implement and organise strategic capacity building of personnel.
Accountability and Learning
• Provide advice on goal setting, targets and performance indicators for support staff and recommend tools for monitoring, evaluation all staff performance.
• Act as focal point for any internal/external audit exercise.
• Monitor and supervise all aspects of the programme to ensure compliance with organisation rules, regulations, policies, and standards of accountability, ethics and integrity.
Additional responsibilities include
• Network and attend relevant coordination meetings at national level.
• Build and develop meaningful and effective relationship with partners at all levels, other NGOs in country and regionally, donors and with other people of importance to DCAs work.
• Contributing to a culture of excellence, continuous improvement and performance optimization across all teams.
• Working in accordance with DCA values and humanitarian principles.
• Maintaining effective working relationship with other members of the team.
• Being a role model for diversity and inclusion, as well as for contributing to positive team spirit.
• Build and maintain links to relevant units at Headquarters as the main point of entry to Group Finance Unit, Procurement & Logistics Unit and IT & Digital Development Unit. Provide feedback to HQ in order to improve systems and procedures.
What you bring
• A relevant Master’s Degree in Financial Management or related field
• At least 10 years of relevant experience, at least 4 of which must have been in an INGO or international organization in a similar role
• Proven experience of capacity building, and learning and development plans of both own staff and partner organizations.
• Proven experience of procurement and supply chain, including ensuring compliance, internal controls, and anti-corruption
• Strong leadership, team-building and communications skills. Proficiency in written and spoken English
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
• Cultural sensitivity, patience, resourcefulness and adaptability.
What we offer
• A two-year renewable contract
• A very competitive salary and benefits package
• 4 weeks of paid vacation leave
• Comprehensive health insurance plan
• Learning and development opportunities
• An opportunity to make a difference and improve the lives of communities DCA is working with in Kenya
• We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
• Qualified and interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic affiliation are encouraged to apply for this vacancy. Candidates must have the right to work in Kenya.
• Only applications consisting of the below will be considered:
• Cover Letter (max 1 page), CV (max 3 pages)
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
How to apply
• Apply online
• Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
• Deadline for applications is: 20th July 2022
• Interviews can be held on a rolling basis and DCA reserves the right to select a candidate prior to the closing date. The successful candidate is expected to start no later than 1st October 2022.
• DCA conducts an anti-terror check as part of the recruitment process. It is a prerequisite that you can pass this check and maintain this status throughout your employment with us.
• Everyone applying for a job with DCA must be ready to comply with our Staff Policy on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment and our Child Safeguarding Policy.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.