Infrastructure Projects Social Specialist
Jobs at:European Investment Bank (EIB)
Deadline of this Job:
22 June 2022
Date Posted: Friday, June 10, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
About European Investment Bank (EIB)
• The EIB is the European Union's bank. We are the only bank owned by and representing the interests of the European Union Member States. We work closely with other EU institutions to implement EU policy. We are the world’s largest multilateral borrower and lender. We provide finance and expertise for sustainable investment projects that contribute to EU policy objectives. More than 90% of our activity is in Europe. But we also are a big investor around the world. How we do it Lending: The vast majority of our financing is through loans, but we also offer guarantees, microfinance, equity investment, etc. Blending: Our support unlocks financing from other sources, particularly from the EU budget. This is blended with loans to form a full financing package. Advising: Lack of finance is often only one barrier to investment. We help with administrative and project management capacity to facilitate investment. See "Products section" for our full range of products and services.
• Analyse the social aspects and risks of project proposals with a view to supporting business development and early screening of projects to assess compliance with Bank standards notably the Environmental and Social Sustainability Framework (ESSF);
• Where appropriate, interact with project promoters, in close cooperation and with full involvement of the operational departments’ project teams at HQ and concerned local staff;
• Advise and follow up on resettlement processes, fragility, conflict and resilience issues, vulnerability assessments, indigenous people, labour standards, health & safety standards, cultural heritage, public consultation and community grievances, gender and human rights issues;
• Review and comment on the compliance of key documents (e.g. resettlement action frameworks and plans, environmental and social impact assessments and management plans, and stakeholder engagement plans) with Bank standards and gaps with local legislation.
• Monitor project implementation as necessary;
• Assist in the management of Technical Assistance operations involving the services of external consultants;
• Follow and support the development of project opportunities in the Southern Neighbourhood region and prepare briefings on key social issues and strategic developments relevant for the Bank;
• Where required and in full coordination with the Head of Office, build relations in relevant area of expertise with key external parties (e.g. international financing institutions, government representatives, local authorities, other institutions, etc);
• Where required and in full coordination with the Head of Office/HQ, represent the EIB at events, for example regular sector meetings, conferences or meetings with International Financial Institutions (IFIs);
• Provide input to appraisals, monitoring reports, project completion reports and project briefings to management in close coordination with the Departmental Social Specialist;
• Provide input to the preparation of sector related presentations for the Head and/or staff of the Nairobi Hub;
• Participate in the general activities of the Nairobi office, including internal meetings.
• University Degree (ideally Masters level or above) in relevant fields for the type of projects concerned in this post (e.g. sociology, anthropology, social development practice, environmental studies, development studies, economics or another relevant discipline);
• At least 8 years of experience with the identification and management of social aspects of infrastructure projects and policy;
• Multi-country working experience in particular in in East Africa and other parts of Sub-Saharan Africa would be an advantage;
• Experience with evaluating social aspects of proposals to finance projects especially with international partners;
• Familiarity with the work of International Financial Institutions would be a strong advantage
• Experience with transport-related promoters in Kenya
• Excellent knowledge of English.
• Solid IT (standard Office tools, particularly Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and writing skills.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• Follow the link to apply https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3120740726/?eBP=JOB_SEARCH_ORGANIC&recommendedFlavor=ACTIVELY_HIRING_COMPANY&refId=cObhgboEdEo2WXkB%2B0tWiA%3D%3D&trackingId=SRBgNfxvO692wYVYKEeiHA%3D%3D&trk=flagship3_search_srp_jobs
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.