Investment Lead, Kenya Feed the Future (FtF) Private Sector Activity | Nairobi, Kenya | 2023
Deadline of this Job:
Friday, May 19 2023
Date Posted:Friday, May 19 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Chemonics International, a Washington D.C.-based international development organization, seeks to fill the anticipated, fixed-term position of Investment Facilitation Lead for the anticipated USAID- funded Feed the Future (FtF) Private Sector Activity in Kenya. This activity supports the commitments of the USAID-funded Kenya Investment Mechanism (KIM), and the Kenya Crops and Dairy Market Systems (KCDMS). The $25-50 million project will aim to accelerate agriculture-led growth in Kenya through partnerships with larger agricultural sector firms and job creation across the FtF footprint to increase sales and exports through a sustainable and locally led vehicle. The activity would combine tools used in USAID’s traditional private-sector development activities with tools used to mobilize finance and investment into one mechanism-supporting a range of agricultural firms to expand investments and operations via a blended finance approach.
The Investment Facilitation Lead is responsible for applying financial literacy and investment-readiness knowledge to prioritize, structure, and manage agriculture investment activities that boost funding sustainability. We anticipate that the Investment Facilitation Lead l be based in Nairobi, Kenya. Candidates should possess considerable successful experience in mobilizing finance and investment into programming with experience in expanding investments and operations in the agriculture sector. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
1. Prioritize investment opportunities, prepare and structure county-level investment projects; oversee all due diligence efforts.
2. Develop and oversee implementation of a blended finance strategy to support business growth and increase access to finance in the agriculture sector.
3. Build and maintain effective working relationships with public and private sector actors including Kenya-based and international firms, funds, associations, and non-governmental organizations in the agriculture sector to facilitate linkages that accelerate growth and increase market inclusivity.
4. Support financial institutions and investors to develop new financing solutions and products for agricultural firms and build capacity of lenders to structure financial products and transactions for agriculture SMEs.
5. Strengthen the capacity of local business advisory service (BAS) providers to assist agricultural SMEs to negotiate and complete financing transactions.
6. Enable agricultural firms to access finance and investment to expand their operations, develop new products, and reach new customers.
7. Work closely with the monitoring and evaluation team to ensure adequate monitoring and recording of investment deals.
1. Degree in Economics, Business Management or other relevant degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
2. At least 8-10 years of experience in investment facilitation, strategy consulting, private equity, venture capital, SME banking, credit guarantees, fintech, SME development or investment banking, ideally in Kenya or the East African region.
3. Demonstrated financial literacy and investment-readiness knowledge, including knowledge of blended finance, financial services providers, and investors in Kenya.
4. Proven experience increasing access to finance and improving financial services for SMEs.
5. Previous experience working in a management capacity in the private sector, large NGO, or development consulting firm. Experience working in Kenya or the region strongly preferred.
6. Strong relationships with Kenya-based and international lenders, agribusinesses, BAS and other investment organizations, firms, and funds.
7. Experience in policy reform process facilitation, policy advocacy, and public-private dialogue.
8. Knowledge of the counties – current development status, opportunities, as well as key drivers and institutions involved in facilitating investment.
9. Previous USAID experience is preferred.
10. Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
11. Fluency in English with excellent oral and written communication skills required; proficiency in Kiswahili preferred.
12. This role is expected to be based in Nairobi, Kenya and it is anticipated that there will be significant in-country travel.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Please apply by using this link. Prioritizing applications received by May 5, 2023. Applications will continue through May 19, 2023.
Kenya and EAC national applications encouraged.
No telephone inquiries, please.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.