Jobs at:World Bank Group
Deadline of this Job:
Tuesday, June 20 2023
Date Posted: Wednesday, June 07 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
• IFC has embarked on an ambitious growth strategy (IFC 3.0) to stimulate more investment activity, especially in Low Income Countries (LICs) and Fragile and Conflict affected Situations (FCS). This strategy calls for generating our own opportunities by proactively working “Upstream” to create, deepen, and expand markets and to imagine, design and implement investment projects. It requires taking a systematic approach to understanding the regulatory and sector bottlenecks that prevent the flow of private capital into productive investment in our member countries, and addressing these bottlenecks through World Bank Group engagement on policy reforms and programmatic interventions at the country and sector level. It also requires capacity to leverage WBG programs and projects to develop our own proactive sector interventions and to imagine and design projects even in the absence of reforms. IFC is seeking an Investment Officer to join the Infrastructure Upstream team to be based in Nairobi, Kenya. The selected candidate will focus on supporting the development of a high-quality Upstream pipeline in the Africa region. S/he will also support the identification of possible regulatory or policy obstacles that may be considered for other interventions across the World Bank Group to prioritize various initiatives and to maximize the impact of Upstream efforts.
Duties and Accountabilities:
• Support the identification and assessment of Upstream opportunities based on country and sector strategies and market creation potential.
• Contribute to the development of feasibility studies and implementation plans for Upstream projects that lead to IFC investments.
• Assist in designing and implementing scalable solutions and platforms similar to “Scaling Solar” that can be replicated across markets.
• Help spot game-changing trends, technologies and business models that can bring solutions to emerging markets.
• Produce regular reports on the assigned Upstream portfolio including monitoring progress against project milestones and KPIs.
• Contribute to sector-specific data analysis and stress-testing of various operating models to help generate ideas for new projects, new products and platform businesses.
• Master’s in Business Administration or Finance, or a Master’s degree or equivalent professional qualification in Economics, International Relations, Science, Engineering, or other relevant field, in each case with a significant level of finance content.
• 8-10 years of relevant experience in project and/or program development, hands-on advisory and/or consulting functions in emerging markets, ideally in the infrastructure space.
• Familiarity with the Africa region, including hands-on work across different countries in the region.
• Genuine commitment to development and to the World Bank Group and IFC's mission, strategy and values.
• Understanding of IFC’s strategic priorities and changing business model against the backdrop of IFC 3.0.
• Capacity to innovate and challenge the status quo and experience in new idea generation, business development, and creating projects/programs from scratch.
• Understanding of the relevant sector and ability to link policy reforms, advisory interventions, investment, and mobilization to deliver solutions at a country level via the Cascade approach.
• Ability to engage with private sector clients, local and national governments and other stakeholders to encourage pioneering business and market development.
• Experience in project/program management, including executing against implementation plans with defined business development milestones.
• Experience in monitoring and reporting on a portfolio of projects/programs/initiatives.
• Outstanding analytical and critical thinking skills.
• Strong written and verbal communications skills in English required; French, Portuguese and/or Arabic desirable.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Interested and qualified? Go to World Bank Group on worldbankgroup.csod.com to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.