Jobs at:Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
Deadline of this Job:
19 October 2022
Date Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
General objectives of the position
The Media Manager takes a leadership role in the development and implementation of the media strategy for MSF Eastern Africa, working closely with the director of the department. The work supports the home society communications and fundraising objectives of MSF EA, as well as the MSF´s global social mission, albeit with a strong focus on the EA region.
Working with the Press Officer, the Media Manager works to ensure increased media coverage of MSF in Kenyan media and supports regular coverage of MSF´s messages in the international, Pan African and regional media based in Nairobi and elsewhere in the region.
As a senior member of the Communications and Fundraising team, the position takes a strong role in strategizing for the overall direction of the department, liaising with other departments to support their work and contributes to MSF´s international platforms. As a senior leader, the Media Manager can also deputise for the director of the department as needed.
• For MSF´s institutional communications agenda in Kenya, in close collaboration with the director of the department, develops and implements media strategies to ensure increased positive coverage of MSF´s messages. Regularly reviews strategy and adapts as needed and collaborates closely with the Kenya field communications manager.
• Helps to define the media strategy for the rest of the region in the coming years, in line with MSF Eastern Africa´s regional institutional agenda.
• Provides strategic advice, as well as practical support to media approach for operational communications colleagues in the region and wider movement as needed.
• Develops positioning as needed for institutional issues including reputational crises within Kenya and elsewhere as needed.
Running the press office
• Has responsibility for managing media relations with the International, regional and Pan African media based in Nairobi and together with the Press Officer and the Field Communications Manager, oversees management of the Kenya media.
• Develops and ensures maintenance of effective press office systems and structures including contacts lists, media monitoring and dissemination systems as well as on call register.
• Oversees the effective management of media enquiries, including comment, interview and visit requests, on a 24/7 basis.
• Oversees regular dissemination of engaging materials to the media, in line with the office´s editorial policy.
• Together with the Press Officer, develops and maintains strong contacts with media (journalists, producers and editors) based in Eastern Africa, and with other media managers and communications colleagues across the MSF network, doping proactive scanning to keep contacts up to date. Collects regular insights from trusted contacts to inform media and wider strategy.
• Supports senior spokespeople with interviews and oversees briefing and debriefing of field workers for communications purposes.
• Takes the lead in project management of major media partnerships, including writing proposals for media or pitches for use within MSF.
• Provides high quality training for senior staff from across the organisation as needed.
• Takes the lead on the media management of sensitive subjects including acting as a media focal point or general communications lead in critical incidents and emergencies as needed, which can include travelling to the field and joining an incident response team.
• Stays informed of major developments in the regional media, including trends in coverage of certain topics and contexts.
Management and administration
• Leads the media team which includes management of the Press Officer and Communications Intern.
• Has overall responsibility for hiring, managing and evaluating staff including freelancers and temporary members of the team as needed.
• Manages relationships with suppliers for media related services.
• Oversees the team´s budget and reporting responsibilities.
• Deputizes as needed for the Director of Communications and Fundraising.
• Maintains strong contacts with communications colleagues across the MSF network, including those covering the region and working in global media hubs. This includes informal collaboration on a bilateral basis as well as organising/taking part in formal moments of exchange.
• Close collaboration across the communications and fundraising team to ensure coherent communications, with other departments in MSF EA and across the wider movement as needed. Has a priority link with communications staff in EA for technical support on media strategy.
• Is available to travel to project locations as needed to provide support or training.
• Sends regular operational updates within the MSF EA office for their information.
• Bachelor’s degree or post graduate qualification in journalism, communications, marketing or other discipline relevant to MSF´s subject matter.
• At least five years of experience in a communications or media role.
• Proven ability to drive media coverage, including the ability to take a storytelling approach.
• Ability to work independently, under pressure and to tight deadlines with a strong focus on results.
• Knowledge of the EA region, of humanitarian work and international/current affairs.
• Experience in MSF or in another relevant organisation is highly desirable.
• Project and or team management experience.
• Impeccable English writing skills - knowledge of another regional language highly desirable.
• Sound ethical judgement as well as a commitment to MSF´s principles.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.