National Office Accountant
Jobs at:SOS Children's Villages
Deadline of this Job:
31 December 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Position Summary: The National Office Accountant is responsible for fulfilling the financial requirements and preparing relevant financial information for all decision-making bodies and other stakeholders.
Key performance areas and main responsibilities
Financial Accounting Management and Ledger Management
• Reviews and verifies that appropriate supporting documents have been provided for the processing of payments for goods and services received.
• Ensures that payments are approved in accordance with the stipulated organizational procedures and rules and are disbursed to the locations in a timely manner
• Ensures that transactions are recorded accurately in the Navision system ensuring quality of data input.
• Manages all National office staff receivable accounts.
• Reviews the purchase ledger of a regular basis and actions payments in a timely manner.
• Responsible for the co-ordination of all payments related to the Nairobi based programs/business units and to support countries in the region, when required.
• Ensures that proper workflow between units to ensure that transactions are captured within acceptable timelines.
• Maintenance of effective filling (physical and online filling) of financial documentation and ensure they can be accessed on demand within reasonable time and adhere to local laws on document filing.
• Ensures that costs are coded to the correct budget code.
• Ensures that prepayments for medical and other staff benefits are expensed in a timely manner.
• Ensures that correction journals and recharges are done by 2nd of every month ensuring all the supporting documents are in place.
• Ensures that all month end close deadlines are adhered to and that all unusual transactions and unsupported entries are investigated and resolved in a reasonable manner.
• Ensures prompt filing of returns to the NGO Board as well prompt payment of the statutory deductions.
Cash flow & Bank reconciliation Management:
• Responsible for coordinating the management of all bank and cash transactions to and from the business unit bank accounts, so program activities can be efficiently carried out.
• Reviews National Office bank accounts reconciliations prepared by the location accountants.
• Forecast cash flow and ensure timely to up requests.
• In charge of correspondence with all banks.
• Ensures that both bank and cash records are updated, ideally daily.
• Acts as a secondary Bank Agent for SOS Children’s Villages in Kenya.
• Supports the Senior Human Resource Officer in payroll preparation on a monthly basis ensuring that all required monthly amendments are captured in the payroll system
• Uploads monthly staff pay to the online banking system in a timely manner
• Provides payroll reconciliation report to the Finance Manager on the 5th date of every month
• Ensures payroll deductions (PAYE, NSSF, NHIF, HELB, Pension companies and other deductions) are remitted in a timely basis and all reporting requirements are met.
• Timely resolution of payroll discrepancies and queries from staff and from regulators.
• Point of contact at Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) on all Pay as you Earn (PAYE).
• Point of contact at Organization main bank on all payroll related queries.
• Ensures that SOS Children’s Villages in Kenya is compliant to all laws that relate to payroll processing.
• Monthly reconciliation of the payroll ledger
Audit and Compliance
• Facilitates the external and internal audit by ensuring that documents are availed during audits. Assist in Coordination of National Office external and project audits
• Implements the finance related audit recommendations from various audits and maintain a tracker of all audit queries
• Supports internal and external audit process.
• Submission of Kenya Revenue Authority annual company returns.
• Ensures all statutory deductions are made and remitted on time including VAT, Withholding tax, Withholding VAT etc.
• Ensures that records with KRA and are well documented and filled, ITAX is well utilized and risks is assessed, and any measures taken to maintain zero risk with the regulatory bodies.
• Maintains all KRA i-Tax Ledgers.
• Capacity building staff in all areas of financial management and compliance.
Management of Advances, Assets Register, Floats & Loans:
• Ensures that all recoveries in respect of advances, floats, loans, taxi etc. owed by staff members are appropriately deducted from the salaries on specified dates, as approved.
• Ensures the Assets registers agree with Navision Dynamics & Microsoft 365 and physical assets and in line with organizations policy.
Required Qualifications / Abilities
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting, from a recognized institution of higher learning is a must
• A CPA part 2 is a must
• A minimum of 5 years working experience with progressive responsibility for finance in the NGO sector is a must
• A solid understanding of financial statistics and accounting principles, with working knowledge of all statutory legislation and regulations pertaining to finance, and the ability to guide and lead employees to ensure appropriate financial processes are being used
• Proficient user of advanced Excel is a must and Knowledge and practical use of Navision is desirable
• Analytical – synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
• Able to work under pressure, with strong organizational, planning, prioritization and execution skills and the ability take accountability for results and achievement of objectives.
• Enthusiastic, decisive, pragmatic and dynamic hands-on individual with a sense of urgency, attention to detail, thoroughness and unquestionable integrity
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
If you believe your experience, competencies and qualifications match the job and role specifications described; send your application & updated CV (with details of at least 3 traceable referees one of which must be immediate former employer) should be to email@example.com addressed to the Human Resources Manager to reach us on or before 31st December 2022.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.