Principal Accountant (KMFRI Grade 5)
Jobs at:Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute (KMFRI)
Deadline of this Job:
Thursday, August 17 2023
Date Posted: Thursday, June 29 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Duties and responsibilities in this position will entail:
• Participating in design, development and implementation of proper accounting systems to ensure that internal controls are in place to safeguard the Institute financial resources from all forms of misuse;
• Preparing of statutory and other financial reports for management review and onward submission to the relevant authorities;
• Preparing periodic management reports to assist in Management decision making;
• Participating in budget preparation;
• Ensuring that financial expenditure is planned, controlled and properly authorized;
• Overseeing the functions of the cash office, debt and credit management and bank reconciliation for effective service delivery;
• Maintaining the fixed assets register;
• Overseeing the compilation of data and analysis of support schedules to facilitate the systems and financial audits;
• Providing training and guidance to staff working under his/her responsibility;
• Appraising finance staff to improve efficiency in operations;
• Ensuring timely disbursement of funds to the Stations/Centers;
• Reviewing expenses of grants accounts and donor funded accounts to ensure adherence with grant requirements and donor intent.
Requirements for appointment/Persons Specification
• A minimum of six (6) years relevant work experience three (3) of which must have served as a Senior Accountant or equivalent position in the private or public sector;
• Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce, Business Management, Business Administration (Accounting or Finance option) or other relevant and equivalent qualifications from a recognized institution;
• Minimum KCSE C+ (plus) or its equivalent;
• Passed Part III of the Certified Public Accountants (CPA) Examination or ACCA affiliate Exams or its equivalent;
• Member in good standing of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK) or any other recognized professional body;
• Supervisory course lasting not less than two (2) weeks from a recognized institution;
• Proficiency in computer applications;
• Demonstrated good results in work performance;
• Shown merit and ability as reflected in work performance and results;
• Met the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution.
Other Key Competencies and Skills
• Strategic thinking;
• Good Analytical skills;
• Good communication and reporting skills;
• Strong managerial skills and ability to lead teams;
• Mentoring and coaching skills;
• Good Interpersonal and negotiation skills.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 72
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• Interested and qualified candidates MUST complete the KMFRI Job Application Form, attach their testimonials, certificates, copy of their National Identification Card (ID) and Curriculum Vitae (CV).
• Submit their applications both in HARD and SOFT COPY, and envelopes containing the documents should clearly be marked with the position applied for and sent to the address below not later than Monday, 17th July 2023.
• The Director General,
Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute,
P. O. Box 81651 – 80100,
Silos Road, English Point, Mkomani,
• SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES in compliance with the Chapter Six of the Constitution will be required to present originals of the following documents:
• Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations
• Clearance/Compliance Certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
• Tax Compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority
• Clearance from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
• Clearance from recognized Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
• Only SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES will be contacted and shall be required to produce originals of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates during the interviews.
• Any canvassing will lead to AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION.
• KMFRI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, PERSONS LIVING WITH DISABILITY, WOMEN, YOUTH AND THOSE FROM MARGINALIZED AREAS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.