Procurement Associate (Roster)
Jobs at:United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
Deadline of this Job:
26 June 2022
Date Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners' peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
• Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the Kenya Multi Country Office manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMCO sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and South Africa. This includes primarily transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi based UN Agencies, UN-Habitat and UNEP, and multiple ‘operational’ projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and several island states.
• Under the direct supervision of the functional supervisor and under the guidance from the Head of Support Services, the Procurement Associate ensures the provision of efficient and timely support services in procurement and contract administration to the different programmers in a relevant geographical area. He/she promotes a client-focused, quality and results- oriented approach and provides support to the relevant procurement personnel. In the discharge of her/his duties, the Procurement Associate works with minimal supervision and liaises with UNOPS Programme Support Officers, Chief Technical Advisors, Portfolio Managers and Portfolio Assistants in order to ensure best support.
• Transactional Procurement Support services
• Administers a range of transactional-procurement support activities, ensuring compliance with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies, including the following:
• Incorporation of necessary steps to embed sustainability in the procurement process.
• Completeness of submissions to the Contract and Property Committees (CPCs).
• Completeness of documentation for preparation/processing of Purchase Orders, Contracts, LTAs or their Amendments.
• Provision of requested research/data on market supply by conducting routine market research to determine sources of supplies, using United Nations Global Market Place, and other external sources;
• Set-up/enhancement and maintenance of the local supplier database, ensuring regular update of data.
• Information databases, all procurement files and records updated and maintained.
• Status reports generated, as required.
• Availability of all supporting documents for audit and review purposes;
• Procurement planning, requisitions and sourcing
• Administratively and technically supports the office’s planning, requisitions/procurement and sourcing support processes, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Collaboration with projects personnel and Managers in the preparation of their procurement plan, awarding, administering and monitoring of all matters related to procurement for the given geographical area / project activity.
• Maintenance and update of procurement monitoring processes for projects and provision of feedback on purchase orders to requesting office;
• Provision of proposals to requesting entity on modes for providing goods, works and services, including procurement deadlines for each stage;
• Review of requisitions for completeness;
• Preparation of proper and complete specification for equipment and materials, Job Profiles and Statement of Works for the preparation of RFP, RFQ and ITB, ensuring clearance/approval by respective units of the requests.
• Constant liaison with vendors and consignee until safe delivery of goods is achieved.
• Drafting of letters, memoranda, faxes, email, etc.; monitoring of progress and liaison with vendors during the entire procurement cycle; investigation and resolution of post-order problems and of progress reports on procurement matters;
• Oral/written responses to queries from projects, clients, companies, etc. regarding procurement related matters;
• Preparation of monthly reports on procurement matters;
• Liaison with the logistics unit or projects on receipt of goods, equipments and services in view of obtaining proper delivery report, RIR (Receipt and Inspection Report), or relevant certificates and that proper inventory is taken;
• Bidding and tendering processes
• Undertakes or supervises technical support to bidding and tendering processes, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Preparation of shortlists of suitable contractors/suppliers for purchases of value over designated amounts for approval of designated officer;
• Preparation and issuance of EOI, RFQ, ITB, RFP or other tender documents as required, ensuring their conformity with UNOPS approved templates or seeking legal clearance in case of required adjustments;
• Together with the requesting programme/operations clients, support review and evaluation of bids or proposals received and preparation of analysis for less-complex, contract awards and for submission to the LCPC or other, statutory, designated body;
• Preparation of HQCPC, or designated body, submission together with the requesting programme/operations component;
• Organizing of LCPC (or desiganted, statutory body) meetings as may be required, and circulating at least 24 hours in advance documents for review;
• Maintenance of records of LCPC or designated, statutory body.
• Contract administration
• Supports efficient contract administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Follow-up signing of contracts by vendors;
• Obligation of funds in Enterprise system and obtaining of appropriate signatures for approval;
• Dissemination of contract advertisement and awards;
• Maintenance of contracts and filing system;
• Maintenance of databases/rosters of best suppliers, contractors and service providers, activities and statistics
• Team Management
• Facilitates the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development.
• Provides oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practices.
• Knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
• Organizes, facilitates and/or delivers training and learning initiatives for personnel on procurement
• Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in procurement
• Collects feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively
• Impact of Results
• The effective and successful achievement of results by the Procurement Associate affect the performance of major aspects of the relevant business unit/s, project activities, procurement and contract management support services, impacting the timely and effective implementation of the respective services and deliverables. This ensures client satisfaction and promotes the image and credibility of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management. This enhances UNOPS’ competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services in the country/region served.
• Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
• Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always putsthe end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
• Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
• Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
• Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
• Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
• Completion of secondary school is required.
• First University Degree in Procurement and/or Supply Chain Management, Law, Commerce, Business Administration, or related areas is desirable but not required.
• Relevant certification in procurement and supply chain management (CIPS or similar) is a distinct advantage.
• A minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience in providing procurement support services in national and/or international public or corporate organizations is required.
• Experience in working with a range of stakeholders in developing countries is desired
• Some experience in UN system organizations is desirable is desired.
• A minimum of one (1) year of proficiency in computers and office software packages (MS Office) and experience in handling of web-based management systems is required.
• Experience in use of Enterprise systems including OneUNOPS is desirable
• Language Requirements
• Fluency in English is required
• Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset.
• Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
• Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
• Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
• UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
• Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
• For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
• For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
• The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
• It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
• Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
• This is a local post. As such, it is only open to Kenyan Nationals or persons with valid residence permits
• This position is based in a family duty station
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 72
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• Follow the link to apply https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/Account/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fpages%2fViewVacancy%2fApplyVacancy.aspx%3fid%3d24093&id=24093
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.