Programme Policy Officer (Gender and Protection)
Jobs at:United Nations World Food Programme
Deadline of this Job:
14 December 2020
Date Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Despite some improvements at the legislative level over the past few years, women and girls in Somalia remain at risk of exclusion and marginalization. The Gender Inequality Index for Somalia is 0.776 (with 1 denoting complete inequality). Most women are illiterate, and maternal mortality rates are among the highest in the world; women also are one of the groups at greatest risk of contracting epidemic diseases. Early and child marriage is commonplace while early marriage and pregnancy deter adolescent girls from attaining education and subsequently limit their employability and increase the risks of Gender Based Violence (GBV) and adverse maternal and child health outcomes. FGM is near universal. GBV persists in Somalia, and challenges accessing justice hinder individuals who experience sexual and gender- based violence from pursuing justice.
Overall, marginalization and exclusion risk leave the most vulnerable behind, most notably women and girls, youth, children, internally displaced persons, migrants, marginal groups, and persons with disabilities.
WFP, through its operations and improving its footprint and lead role in coordination at cluster level, strives to advance the gender, protection and inclusion agenda.
This position is open to qualified Kenyan candidates; female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. .
Duties and Responsibilities
The Programme Policy Officer will work directly under the Head of Programme, leading the Gender and Protection (G&P) portfolio, as well as the inclusion/exclusion (disability, marginalized groups, etc.) agenda, encouraging detailed embedding of these priorities into programming. The incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Facilitate and provide technical mentorship to the Country Office (CO) and programme management and teams, as well as oversight, for the mainstreaming of (G&P) into WFP Programmes;
• Develop situational analysis of (G&P) dynamics and associated vulnerability to food insecurity and malnutrition in Somalia;
• Support analysis around exclusion in the country, working closely with other programme teams;
• Make recommendations on how WFP programmes and contribution can contribute to improving dynamics around (G&P) in Somalia;
• Support CO analysis on disability, and guide programme, management and Area Offices (AO) on how to integrate disability into programming, such as through referral pathways or the specific targeting of disabled beneficiaries into programming (livelihood, safety nets, relief, etc.);
• Provide training to AO and programme colleagues on gender, protection and disability;
• Work closely with the programme team on accountability to affected population, focusing on exclusion, including marginal group exclusion and make recommendations to streamline inclusion into programming;
• Work together with the monitoring unit as well as programme technical teams to define, monitor and capture data around gender equity, protection and inclusion in WFP programmes;
• Lead the Gender results Network for the CO;
• Lead WFP engagement with other UN and partners, as well as with Government as appropriate, in the area of gender, protection and inclusion;
• Any other related duties.
Job Skills: Not Specified
Job Qualifications: Not Specified
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Education Experience: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.