Project Accountant - COSME Project
Jobs at:Plan International
Deadline of this Job:
02 January 2023
Date Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• The Accountant will support implementation of accounting and financial management functions for the COSME project to ensure compliance with Plan policies, procedures and donor requirements. The position holder will provide supports in the development, implementation and monitoring of the project.
Accountabilities And Main Work Activities
Financial Accounting and Treasury management (40%)
• Review all transactions to ensure that they are accurate and comply with Plan policies, procedures and Donor requirements.
• Post all approved transactions in corporate ERP system
• Preparation of funds transfer for supplies payments.
• Prepare timely and accurate cash forecasts at the Program Unit level.
• Process project advances and approved liquidations in ERP.
• Prepare and process Mpesa payments to business partners/beneficiaries timely and subsequent posting replenishment and reconciliation of Mpesa transactions in SAP.
Budgeting and Planning (15%)
• Participate in the preparation of Project operations budget, and support project staff to prepare projects annual budget.
• Participate and support during proposal writing for grants projects.
• Participate during project budget modifications.
Financial Reporting and Period-End processes (35%)
• Prepare bank reconciliations and perform petty cash count for the program units on monthly basis.
• Prepare Mpesa reconciliations for the program units on a monthly basis.
• Reconcile balance sheets accounts (advances, accruals, prepayments, deposits) and resolve reconciling items on a monthly basis.
• Participate actively in the month and year end processes and preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual finance schedules and reports for each program unit.
• Prepare and reconcile monthly PAYE, VAT and Withholding tax schedules for payment.
• Process adjustment journals for accruals, corrections, prepayments and redistribute support costs to the COSME projects.
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) 5%
• Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
• Leads the orientation of programme staff to ensure that they are properly inducted on and understands their role in upholding Plan International’s safeguarding and GEI policies;
• Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in project design, during implementation and as principles applied in day-to-day work of Programme team;
• Ensures that Plan Kenya contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
• Participate in project management meetings
• Maintain and manage all Project financial documents to safeguard financial records and audit trails.
• Support audits by ensuring sampled documents are availed to auditors.
• Any other duty as assigned by the supervisor
• Courageous, taking a lead, challenging myself and others to achieve purpose, safeguard others and role model values, inside and outside work. Responsible for my work and learning, striving to improve. Self-aware, resilient and constructive in embracing change. Striving to achieve significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls. Challenging myself to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.
• Respecting all people, appreciating differences and challenging inequality in programmes and the workplace. Supporting children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
• Understanding Plan International’s purpose, priorities, values and approaches in our work context. Adhering to relevant policies, processes, practices and standards, and being pro-active in continuing technical and professional development
Business Management Competencies
• Understands relevant sectoral context including how the sector operates in terms of funding and governance and awareness of Plan's purpose, values, and global strategy
• Manages legal and reputational risk including risk assessment, communication, risk management and reporting in full compliance with risk-related standards, including in areas such as Child and Youth Safeguarding and Protection, Gender equality and inclusion, Counter Fraud, Safety and Security.
• Managing activities and resources including skills in planning and organising, financial and project management.
• Managing people and information including skills in communication skills, both speaking and writing, and digital working, including personal digital skills.
Technical Expertise, Skills And Knowledge
Qualifications/ experience essential:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Finance/Accounting related courses.
• CPA (K) or other professional qualification in accounting
• 4 years relevant accounting experience and preferably in an INGO of which 2 years should be in a similar position.
• Knowledge of finance processes, systems and principles.
• Experience in computerised accounting applications.
• Qualifications/ experience desirable:
• Previous experience in SAP or ERP
• Analytical skills
• Facilitation and training skills
• Administration and effective communication skills
• Ability to work and interact with others at all levels
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 48
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.