Project Finance Officer
Jobs at:Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA)
Deadline of this Job:
10 August 2022
Date Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• The Virus Resistant Cassava for Africa Plus (VIRCA Plus) is a collaborative project between the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center (DDPSC), USA, MEDA, the Kenya Agricultural and Livestock Research Organization (KALRO), Kenya, the National Agricultural Research Organization (NARO), Uganda, the Rwandan Agricultural Board (RAB), Rwanda, and the National Root Crops Research Institute (NRCRI), Nigeria. The project has developed pathogen-derived RNAi technology to produce genetically modified cassava displaying high level resistance to Cassava brown streak disease (CBSD). Varieties developed from VIRCA Plus project offer unique potential to address a significant threat to the livelihoods of 100s of millions of African smallholder farmers and their communities. The project will run from 2020 to 2025.
• The Project Finance Officer (PFO) will be a critical part of the VIRCA Plus Project. The PFO will provide high-quality day to day support to VIRCA Plus team and Cassava Seed Entrepreneurs (CSEs) on financial management in Kenya and potentially Rwanda. Working collaboratively with the Kenya Finance team and Country Project Manager (CPM), the PFO will lead on a range of financial processes for VIRCA Plus in Kenya, from financial planning, budgeting, reporting, procurement, performance monitoring and financial risk management.
Job Status: Full-time Contract
Anticipated Start Date: October 2022
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
• Ensure MEDA Kenya financial management policies and procedures and donor rules and regulations are strictly adhered to.
• Manage cashflow to ensure the project activities are appropriately funded at all times and make adjustments as needed.
• Prepare vouchers and ensure timely posting to SAGE
• Facilitate the preparation of annual budget and timely report budget/expenditure discrepancies to the Country Project Manager
• Support procurement of VIRCA Plus requirements (materials and services) in collaboration with CPM and the Finance and Procurement Officer (FPO) while ensuring compliance with donor and MEDA procurement policies and procedures.
• Ensure VIRCA Plus maintains transparent procurement process and proper documentation by liaising with the VIRCA Plus team and FPO, to confirm procurement needs, source service providers, raise request for quotation, prepare bid analysis and make recommendations to CPM.
• Raise local purchase orders (LPO) and service contracts for all awarded providers.
• Prepare/update funding documents for all sub-contracts in line with MEDA legal policies.
• Develop matching grant reports including reconciliation of funds disbursed/matched and make recommendations on areas of improvement.
• Ensure timely disbursement of funds to CSEs and other sub-grantees.
• Monitor performance of CSEs/sub-grantees and proactively support the project team to manage identified risks
Cash and staff advances management
• Working collaboratively with CPM and Area Managers, prepare quarterly and monthly cash needs to inform project cash request
• Prepare payment vouchers for approved payments.
• Review VIRCA plus team travel advances and reimbursements for accuracy and approvals.
• Review VIRCA Plus staff travel expense reports with a kin eye on authenticity of receipts and expense approvals.
• Ensure timely payment of VIRCA staff advances and claims
• Reconcile VIRCA Plus staff advances accounts
• Work with the finance team to develop and maintain VIRCA Plus asset register
• Review all staff Motor vehicles reports and provide recommendations on areas of improvement.
• Consolidate monthly motor vehicle expenses and ensure proper charging to the VIRCA Plus Project
• Support the preparation of VIRCA Plus financial reports.
• Assist with collecting financial information for the monthly, quarterly, and annual
• Support implementation of the audit plan
• Implementing internal controls & policies to comply with donor & GOK requirements
Any other duties and/or requirements as assigned
• Education: University degree in Accounting, finance or business related field.
• Experience: Minimum 3 years of experience working at a similar role, preferably within a donor funded project/organization.
• CPA certification-At least CPA 3
• Advanced knowledge and experience of MS office packages, and database management tools.
• Demonstrated experience working with different accounting software, and ability to learn quickly on the job.
• Previous experience working with USAID-funded projects an advantage.
• Fluency (written and verbal) in English is required. Working knowledge of Swahili is desirable
• Appreciation and support of MEDA’s mission, vision, and values
• Understanding and appreciation of business principles, international development and MEDA’s approach of creating business solutions to poverty
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Effective communication skills
• Strong leadership skills
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• Application Deadline: August 10, 2022 5:00pm East Africa Time. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis when received. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications and organizational needs. Only successful applicants will be contacted.
• MEDA is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to creating an inclusive and diverse environment of mutual respect. Reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities are available during all phases of the recruitment process. We ask that any applicants requiring such accommodation make their needs known in advance.
• Interested and qualified? Click here to apply
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.